Web Reports (multiple)

(imported topic written by rharmer91)

So far I’m not a big fan of the Web Reports. It seems very kludgy to get out the reports that would be appropriate for an enterprise.

1. Managers love graphics. Allow on the fly graphics generation for any set of information. See Novell’s Zenworks Asset Management for reference.

2. Custom tab doesn’t seem to belong at the top level. I don’t know many admins that know XML, so I would suggest “hiding” this nice feature under create.

3. Top 10 (or 20) lists. You could have a large selection of top 10 lists to include for emailing.

-Top 10 critical Microsoft patches and how many devices it applies to

-Top 20 devices with the most (insert software company here) issues

(I’ll think of some more)

1. Overview containing unclassified issues seems pointless to me. Offer a way to pull that out.

2. Offer an addon pack to the standard public stored reports, and maybe have them arranged by category with the + and - to expand the category

3. For the overview, allow what is contained in it to be selectable by a list. IE: Checkbox for this, that, etc.

Rich

(imported comment written by rharmer91)

Top “n” lists can be used to identify specific problems

Top 20 machines with lowest disk space

Top 20 machines with lowest physical available memory

Top 20 machines with Highest average cpu (you are already on the box with an agent, might as well report this)

Top 20 machines with LOWEST ave cpu (lots of people looking to VM servers)

Top 20 machines with highest network throughput (might need another nic or gigE)

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hey Rich,

BES Web Reports are designed to be a very flexible way to display the information about BES Clients including Fixlets, Tasks, Analysis, Actions, Properties, etc. Fundamentally, the BES Web Reports is simply another way to query this information in an easy way. We are constantly trying to improve web reports in 2 directions: (1) Make web reports more flexible so that any data in BES is easy to retrieve and (2) Make web reports more “domain specific” so that you can get “pretty” reports that are exactly what you want with a click or two.

As you can imagine, these are difficult design goals that somewhat compete with each other. We have developed web reports with the idea that knowlegable users can get almost any information they want about computers. I think that your comments essentially boil down to the fact that we need more domain-specific and easy-to-use reports. This definitely fits with our future goals for web reports.

Let me address each of your requests/questions specifically:

1. Many of the reports have a graph option or another graphical output, including the “Fixlet History”, “Single Retrieved Property”, “Fixlet Progress”, “Relevant Issue History”, “Average Relevant Issue History”. I think the spirit of your request is that we should have a more flexible way of creating graphics, graphs, etc. and we agree. One other thing to consider is that the “Dashboard” functionality gives many different graphs, statistics, and other useful (and “pretty” information) that many of our customers like to give to managers. The dashboards overviews are available in BES Web Reports in the “Custom Web Reports” page at http://support.bigfix.com/bes/misc/customreports.html.

2. Many of our users have requested reports in different formats, different colors, different styles of display, and generally fully custimizable reports. There is a link on the “Custom Reports” page for reports that we have available and we have been very happy for all the discussion so far on this forum regarding how people are using the “Custom Web Reports”. It doesn’t require any special knowledge of XML, just a little bit of HTML and the understanding of our Relevance Language using “Session Inspectors”.

3. Many “Top X Reports” are available through the “Single Retrieved Property” and “Computer Properties” reports. For instance, if you want to know the computers with the least disk space, you can create a “Computer Properties” report, choose “Free space on system drive” and then sort the list. If you wanted a report like “Top OSes” then you would use the “Single Retrieved Property” report (of course, you need a BES property defined before you can see the results in a report). I think we have room for improvement with this type of report and we can look at it for a future release. In the meantime, we can create the reports like the ones you requested with custom reports (if you post to the “Custom Web Reports” forum, I am sure we can get these reports for you).

4. You can use the “Filter” mechanism to filter anything you like from the Overview page (or almost any report).

5. This is an excellent idea. Hopefully we can get something like this soon.

6. Check out the “Filter” mechanism and see if that meets your requirements.

We have recently been in discussions about the future of web reports internally with our product team. This feedback is excellent and timely. If you have more comments or if anyone else wants to chime in on web reports improvments, please do!

Thanks again,

Ben

(imported comment written by ChrisLandolfi91)

Ben,

I’ll chime in -

Reduce the memory footprint so it’s not constantly crashing.

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hey Chris,

The memory footprint only really starts to become troublesome with the BES deployments around 80,000+ BES Clients so many of the other users on the forum won’t run into any issues here (as long as they have enough RAM for their BES Web Reports computer). There are some configurations to web reports and to the server you can do to help decrease the memory footprint.

We will contact you directly to help you with this.

Ben