Wake on Lan utiliy not working

We’re entitled with the PM product within IEM.

I’ve already set as forwarders the 95% of computer on the customer’s networks(The remaining are offline computers).
We’ve tested aleatory the right-click option and also the scheduler option to wake up computers trough the network(WOL).
It has worked for some computer perfectly, but also for many computers it doesn’t work.

Can you give me piece of advice to go in the right way in order to get a usable service?

I’ve already raised a PMR, but any real solution given until now.

I hope you could help.

I haven’t used the WOL utility so I’m not sure if it would make a difference but is the hardware that isn’t taking the magic packet configured to accept it?

It’s supposed that all the computers have the same configuration. So hardware configuration should not be the problem(Just in the bettter of cases). It could a hard task to validate it on almost 11,000 computers tha the customer has.

Pish-posh, good sir. Using IEM, you can manage it all. I am reading about the ability to detect WOL devices through WMI. If this is a reliable method of determining whether you can and whether it’s enabled, you could create an analysis that helps you determine, and even create an action to configure, devices for WOL.

1 Like

Yes, I read also about it, I need to test the actual methods to detect it with iem because until I know it’s a hardware vendor configuration that the OS probably can’t obtain.

You can obtain both the OS setting and the NIC driver setting through Relevance.

In the case of Dell Business Class hardware, you install Dell Command Monitor, and you can also check the BIOS setting through relevance. You can also configure it.

I have analyses on BigFix.me for many of these and related items.

There are some tasks to enable WOL in BigFix/IEM as well.

I believe you must have WoL enabled in the BIOS & NIC.

Also, you need at least one Wake On Lan forwarder awake in every subnet in order to do WoL to other endpoints on the same subnet.

We designate 100% of endpoints as Wake On LAN forwarders automatically. We designate “Last Man Standing” machines by hand if desired. “Last Man Standing” is a special designation for machines that should never be allowed to sleep so that they can wake sleeping machines. This is best done to an energy efficient desktop computer.

Personally I’d love to see something like a Raspberry Pi to be able to be used as a Last Man Standing, and nothing else, though Digital Signage machines are a good option as well.

Many thanks for your thoughts, could you share your content related to WOL feature?

1 Like

http://bigfix.me has a few items that relate to WOL. Search with “Wake on LAN”.

1 Like

In most cases I already have shared the content on BigFix.me somewhere.

In other cases I need to go back over some of my content and freshen it up and share it.

Speaking of the Raspberry Pi, I agree with @jgstew, they are inexpensive, low power and unobtrusive. Plus, the newer Pi 2’s have a Gig of RAM and a Quad Core processor. It would be interesting if a Relay could be run on one!

Just a Pi in the sky thought! :smile:

1 Like

These run Windows 8.1 and support USB to Ethernet adapters for WoL and could even be used as a relay with microSD expansion, though the internal storage is not very fast.

$70 - http://www.microcenter.com/product/439773/TW700_Tablet_-_Black

$100 - http://www.microcenter.com/product/440932/TW802_Tablet_-_Black

Definitely worth playing with.

1 Like

A new development with BigFix on RaspberryPi: BigFix agent/relay on Raspberry Pi