VM Manager Status Inactive

Hello Everyone,

We have 9.2.11 ILMT setup in our environment and all of our VM Manager were working fine and all of sudden all them went to inactive .

I tried to test the connections with existing credentials and connection was successful. However , the status remain inactive.

Any suggestions/Inputs /Help why it is happening?

Thank You
Mayank

Inactive means no data has been gathered, check if fixlet (Schedule VM Manager Tool Scan Results Upload)
is running to collect data.

Hello Mayank,

There can be multiple issue. Please start the troubelshooting in below sequence

1. Is Schedule VM Manager Fixlet is able to upload Result ? If yes, then please follow below steps.
  2. Login to BigFix Root Server and go to the path “C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData__Global\Archive\Next” Cross check archive size value. If it is exceed , You need to increase the archive size on Root Server, Restart the Filldb service on Root Server and Perform Import in BFI/ILMT.

Thank you for your response and yes i can the fixlet is scheduled and running.

But not sure how to verify if it has uploaded the results. How to check ?

Thank You
Mayank

Hello Manish,

Thank you for you time , please see my response below.

1. Is Schedule VM Manager Fixlet is able to upload Result ? If yes, then please follow below steps. – Not sure how to check if it is able to upload any result.

2. C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData__Global\Archive\Next” - This folder was empty. What is the default size , how to increase ?

Also , please let me know if the below property has any role

Hello Michal/Manish

What is happening is after three-four days or so all my WM manager changes their state from OK to Inactive even though the connection is successful for all. And what i did was delete few VM manager and re-create and it works for me but now that is also not happening.
Re-created VM managers stuck in pending state.

I verified the Fixlet :(Schedule VM Manager Tool Scan Results Upload) is running and Force VM Manager Tool Scan Results Upload (9.2.15.0) is also running fine.

I tested vmman.bat -testconnection where in found one error with one of my VM manager that i removed from ILMT.
Another thing i tested vmman.bat -status same error with same vm manager.

Manually restarted the ILMT service , run data import multiple time but no luck.

Also i noticed at path C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData__Global\Archive\Last only one file is with today’s date i.e index.txt rest all files are of old date wherein in my other ILMT the same folder has other files with latest date.

Please let me know if there is something that i am missing here.

Thank You in Advance.

Mayank

Issue is resolved by increasing the archive size

Hello Everyone,

We have 9.2.11 ILMT setup in our environment and all of our VM Manager shows the operation status as Pending. When we checked VMMAN.bat -status its showing as ok, But in the web GUI. its still in pending

I tried to test the connections with existing credentials and connection was successful. However , the status remain Pending only.

I could see that MaxArchiveSize has been exceeded. Can some one suggest me how to increase the archive size please?

Thanks in advance

This is a computer setting established on the machine where the VM Manager Tool is installed. It should have been set during ILMT installation.

In the BigFix console, find the machine running the VM Manager Tool (which is probably the BigFix server itself). Click Edit Settings, and look for _BESClient_ArchiveManager_MaxArchiveSize. Increase the settings value to at least 52428800. This is the recommended number according to IBM.

Configuring VM manager for subcapacity reporting

If you find it is already at this value, then consider doubling it.

Since the status remains Pending, and you have an indication that the MaxArchiveSize has been exceeded, the import process is being interrupted at step 2 below:

1. VM Manager Tool gathers data from VM managers.
  2. The data is uploaded to the BigFix server.
  3. The data is transferred to License Metric Tool with a data import.

Hello,

Am unable to click on the edit settings option to increease the archive size.could you please suggest…

Let me clarify things - you need to do this while logged into the BES Console, not in the ILMT interface.

1 Like

Hello,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I have increased the size but when i click on data imports its getting failed. And till the operation status showing as pending.

Can you please suggest on this.

Thanks in advance…

Manjushree

Helloo,

Still the operations status showing as pending.

I suggest that you open a case with IBM to resolve this issue.