Usage of "device type"

Read this when you have a few minutes for a sort of comprehensive overview of the changes: https://developer.ibm.com/answers/questions/304878/why-is-device-type-is-unexpectedly-reporting-serve/

This is helpful and I understand how we can override the device types for endpoints if need be, but Iā€™m curious if the Device Type inspector can be modified so that it returns ā€œVirtual Workstationā€ for Win7/10 VMs ā€“ it currently returns ā€œServer,ā€ which is very misleading. The fact that this property behaves this way prevents us from using it in either of my previous two organizations. In both cases, Iā€™ve created my own custom property for Device Type that handles this scenario as Iā€™ve described.

That said, I think it makes sense to modify the source property to behave this way. Does anyone disagree?

Based on the discussion above, there is not a consensus here. You want it to be based on the OS, others want it based on the hardware. We do have other properties and inspectors that report whether a system is virtual or not, so it should be simple to customize the property to your preference using the _BESClient_DeviceTypeOverride setting.