Update actionsite.afxm

Hello,

how it is possible to update the actionsite.afxm? We want to change the server name to a new DNS Name.

Many thanks.

That is not possible, the license is registered with the original hostname, your public/private keys are also created using that hostname.
I think, you should ask to License team support for it, maybe they can recreate the license files.

As @fermt indicated, you can’t simply rename your server, the name is part of the Masthead file (actionsite.afxm) and is used to generate the Public/Private keys that authenticate all the communications with the clients.

You are going to need to generate a new masthead (actionsite.afxm) file, install the BigFix server services using the new masthead on a new server, then migrate all of your clients to the new server. There are Tasks available in the BES Support site to assist with a Masthead migration. Once all of your clients have been migrated, you can turn off your existing server.

Thank you for your answers.
But it is still the same server. We want to create DNS name for this Server, The agents should connect to this DNS name and not the hostname.

Agents will connect to whatever name is in the actionsite.afxm - as the other posts indicate you cannot change this.

If you decide to migrate your BF instance to a new name, I would suggest creating a cname for your bigfix server, like bigfix.domain.com, that points to an individual server.

2 Likes

I agree with @jhickok

You can’t change the actionsite.afxm file itself without doing what @TimRice suggests, but it is possible to take what is already in your actionsite.afxm file turn it from an A record to a CNAME record and then point it to anything you want. You might not be able to do this based upon what is in there already and the way your organization’s DNS works, but it is technically possible.

I would generally recommend that you set up any new bigfix system this way… use a friendly CNAME in the masthead and have it point to the actual root instead of hard coding the current hostname of the current root server.

Technically you can also do “Fake Root” and have the file point to a top level relay instead of the actual root server. There are advantages of doing it this way, but also some added complexity. Definitely worth reading up on.