Trend's Web Protection Module -- not proxy aware?

(imported topic written by SystemAdmin)

I apologize if this has been discussed already, but my search on the topic yielded no results…

We are considering deploying TrendMicro’s Web Protection Module, but it appears that it is not proxy-aware and proxy information needs to be hard-coded and delivered via a fixlet. Why would a security like Trend do something this asinine is beyond me, as this renders the product completely useless in dynamic environment and with mobile users: we have a proxy internally, but as soon as the client leaves the corporate network, proxy should be off; and I’m not even touching idea of visiting a remote site, hotel or anything in between.

My question is this: has anyone figured out a way around this? Or knows if Trend is going to actually build in “use system proxy settings from Internet Explorer” setting into their product anytime soon?

Again, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.

Thanks!

(imported comment written by naveedm)

Hi dlimanov,

Are you referring to the Web Reputation module found within the Core Protection Module site, or to the free evaluation version of the Web Protection Module?

I checked with Trend and learned that the Web Reputation module within the CPM site will by default use IE’s proxy settings, with an option to manually override this behavior using a Fixlet. The free evaluation version, however, does not have this capability.

Hope that helps,

Naveed

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

Naveed,

Thank you for responding. The free version does not have an option to use IE/system’s proxy settings or does not have an option to overwrite/deliver proxy settings via fixlet? I’m not 100% sure I understand the last sentence.

Thanks!

Sorry, I see how that can be confusing. The free version does not have an option to use IE/system’s proxy settings.

I take it you’re using the free version? Do you have the CPM site? We can probably get you going with an evaluation license, if you’d like to play around with it.

Naveed,

It does indeed look like we’re using a free version, which explains the lack of proxy-awareness. How would I go about obtaining a demo version?

Thank you!

Just send me an email at nmakhani@us.ibm.com and we can get the process started.

P.S. Also, it appears that the Web Protection Module does not support Windows7; do you happen to know if support is planned for it in the nearest future?

Thanks again for all of your help!

I think that might be another limitation of the evaluation version. The version in CPM should support Win 7.