TEM Client Deployment in a VDI Cloned Pool Infrastructure

(imported topic written by Icebugz)

Has anyone deployed the TEM endpoint agent in a VDI utilizing the cloned pool architecture? In cloned pool VDI the base image for the OS is inherited from the master. After logoff everything is discarded except for the users profile. We have tried just installing the TEM Agent on the master but what is happening is it creates a duplicate entry each time a new user logs on.

I’m posting this to try and “revive” this thread.

I have a meeting next week to discuss IEM utilization in our soon to be expanded Virtual Desktop environment.

Due to the Duplicate Computer issue, I’m recommending that the IEM client only be installed in the Master (Gold) Image and that the service be “Disabled” except when we need to update the Master.

Has anyone else had any experience with IEM and VDI?

1 Like

Your solution is precisely how we have handled that issue. We have many linked-clone pools that we manage in this way and it has been very successful. Since they are recomposed at least monthly to support patching our process is to only turn on the agent when we need to patch. Just remember to stop and disable the BESClient service before taking your snapshot. I would recommend a logoff script to handle that.

Tim,

I have a customer that is implementing VDI – non persistent desktops and would like to talk with a customer that has VDI in their environment. would you mind if they had a general discussion with you? The customer is GuideOne and I am with Sirius Computer Solutions in the services group.

Our VDI guys have played with linked clones in our environment. The challenges are that the agent gets a new ID each time which leads to lots of ‘ghost’ computer objects. The agent also doesn’t retain action history, settings, parameters, client offer history, etc.

If anyone has mastered the approach to this, I’m all ears.

For Non-Persistent VDI’s you should disable the BigFix client service.

When our group that manages the Gold Master image needs to update things, they spool up the Master image, enable the BES Client service, make their changes then disable the BES Client service again.