Suggested change to Antivirus tasks

(imported topic written by mynameisbear91)

Although I am well aware that installing two antivirus packages on the same computer is really stupid, it might be a good idea to make the BigFix Antivirus/Antipest packages NOT relevant on machines on which the uninstall Symantec/McAfee/etc tasks ARE relevant, in much the same way that you have “Foobar 2007 SP3 - KNOWN ISSUES” fixlets in place to go alongside “Foobar 2007 SP3” service pack fixlets; if a machine has known issues, the KNOWN ISSUES fixlet is relevant and the base service pack fixlet is not.

Just in case anyone is wondering, Symantec Antivirus 10 disables 2 of the 3 BigFix Antivirus services, including the eTrust RPC service, which makes Windows XP take 10-15 minutes to boot and then makes your computer really sluggish to log in.

Solution, in case you flubbed:

Reboot to Safe mode, disable all the SAV services, reenable the two eTrust services, reboot, uninstall SAV.

(imported comment written by jessewk)

FYI, there are Tasks to uninstall Symantec, McAfee, and Sophos available from the BigFix AntiVirus dashboard.

With BigFix AV you are no longer beholden to your incumbent AV vendor just because it’s super hard to remove. Yay!

(imported comment written by mynameisbear91)

jessewk

FYI, there are Tasks to uninstall Symantec, McAfee, and Sophos available from the BigFix AntiVirus dashboard.

With BigFix AV you are no longer beholden to your incumbent AV vendor just because it’s super hard to remove. Yay!

Yep, my suggestion was that the Deploy BigFix Antivirus task not be relevant and have a “Deploy BigFix Antivirus - KNOWN ISSUES” fixlet that becomes relevant if other AV is installed.

(imported comment written by cmesanuc91)

Can you point me to the uninstall task for McaFee?

(imported comment written by jessewk)

The McAfee uninstall task is accessible through the BigFix AntiVirus dashboard. You’ll need to click the ‘show more options’ link at the bottom of the controls section.

Alternatively, on the task tab you can navigate directly to the task by selecting All Tasks --> By Site --> BigFix AntiVirus. You should see it in the list.

Note that you must have the BigFix AntiVirus masthead subscribed.