Store sha1 cache on NAS?

We’re looking for a way to store the sha1 cache folder on a network share. We’re resource constrained and do not have lots of room on our VM servers, but have a large NAS.
Seems the custom repository will not work due to that requiring a web server to host the content. I also tried a symbolic link, which did not work.
Somehow, we want to find a way to offload all this sha1 content to the network. Any help is appreciated!

We ran into a similar problem on our BigFix servers. (slightly different constraints, but the same result - Limited Local Disk due to using Solid State drives).

The solution we settled on was to put a Host Bus Adapter (HBA) in the server and mount a partition from our SAN as the “Uploads” folder. You could just as easily do it to the “wwwrootbes” folder so that you include the “bfmirror” folder.

When you create a partition in Windows, you can specify where and how it mounts. Drive letter, Folder, etc.

Not sure if your NAS supports that type of connection, but I thought I’d mention it.

It does have the minor side-effect that some of the BES diagnostics can show inaccurate results because they look at free space on the DRIVE LETTER where the BES Server is installed, and they can’t account for the space available inside the linked partition.

1 Like

Thank you Tim, we are working toward doing this now. Would still like to keep this thread bumped up to hopefully find a more ideal solution.