SOLVED: Uploadmanager: no folder in sha1 on root server

Hi Guys

I’m trying to use the uploadmanager, but doesn’t seem to get it working. I have following settings on the client:

When I look at the server, I do have an index file:

For the moment i’m testing with .zip files that are 1kb.

Obviously, i’m missing something… but I can’t figure out what…
I’ve looked at this document: http://support.bigfix.com/product/documents/Upload_Manager_70_090602.pdf

Thanks for helping!

Have you tried to upload just one specific file?
Where is the location where you are looking for the uploads?
What does the IEM Agent show?

Note: Current Upload Manager documentation found here:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SS63NW_9.2.0/com.ibm.tivoli.tem.doc_9.2/Platform/Config/c_overview.html

Please provide action script from action you are deploying to try to get this archive to upload. I want to see the values set in the action.

Next check client logs for messages around the time the upload action is supposed to have been sent upstream.

Lastly check the UploadManagerData directory on each intermediate relay between the client and the server.

And take a look at this recent forum discussion regarding situations where the UploadManagerData directory contents may be too much and may be blocking the uploads from happening.

1 Like

Hi @BigFixNinja

Thanks for your answer.

Please provide action script from action you are deploying to try to get
this archive to upload. I want to see the values set in the action.

What do you mean by this? Isn’t adjusting the settings enough? That creates an action script that runs.

What I thought was that the value of the setting _BESCLient_ArchiveManager_FileSet- the path is from where the files are uploaded?

And that with the setting _BESClient_ArchvieManager_OperationMode = 1 it only does when something has changed?

Do there needs to be another custom action to start that or? That’s not clear to me.

On the relay there is nothing in the UploadManagerData (Sha1 + temp).

I’ve checked the related post, but that’s the next step… first I need to get data in the uploadManagerData :wink:

Thank you!

Nope, I don’t think so. You have to run an action to actually cause an upload to occur.

This is not the destination, it is the source.

Files are always uploaded to a particular place on the root server that is based upon the computer ID of the endpoint that did the uploading.

Is that the “archive now” that you need to put at the end of the action?

Our use case:

In C:\Apps\logs\Upload\ there is a program that writes .zip files to that path. We would like to upload them with the Upload manager to the root server (and then with a robocopy to a file server).

But I can’t seem to make the upload manager work… I’ve set the above settings (see first post), what else do I need to do?

You generally set the settings within an action, then use archive now or something.

There are many examples in IBM content of doing this.

You could potentially expand the zip files on the endpoint periodically and read the logs with relevance directly instead of uploading them to the root server.

In general, I like to avoid using the Uploadmanager for too many things.

Yes, we want to avoid it, but it’s the logs from another application etc… they want it from all the devices. Pretty stupid, but client is king no? :wink:

I’ll look in to the IBM content and see if I can find an example.

As always, your help is much appreciated!

If you want it from all clients, then you can just run a fixlet to expand the zip to a folder anytime there are new logs with a certain interval, then pull back the important parts of the logs with an analysis.

This will let you have automated alerts using a WebReport email, it will let you see the status in the BigFix console, and many other advantages.

What @jgstew is saying and what I’ve had a lot of success with is figuring out what in the logs the client wants, do they want errors? warnings?

You could use a fixlet to expand the .zip file and relevance like:

lines of file "C:\test.log" whose (it contains "error:")

To grab just the errors out of the log. You can then use a web report to report on changes to these logs, when new errors occur, etc.

We need some Big Data for BigFix.

Hi @BigFixNinja

What do you mean by Big Data?

@jgstew & @strawgate. I’ll invest this more next week, don’t have time this week… But thanks for the answers!

This has been solved:

By default there is a 20 MB limit on the upload folder on the relays/server.

https://bigfix.me/analysis/details/16
https://bigfix.me/fixlet/details/559

1 Like