Sleep Mode Activity

Hi All,

I’m testing Sleep mode activity in my lab environment but I got stuck in between. I don’t have any idea how does it work.Can anyone help me in this activity how does it work.Your help will be highly appreciated :smile:

I have enabled below setting to few of the Endpoints:
_TEMClient_Resource_WorkIdle
_TEMClient_Resource_SleepIdle
_TEMClient_Resource_QuietEnable
_TEMClient_Resource_QuietStartTime
_TEMClient_Resource_QuietSeconds

What are you trying to accomplish?
What is the problem you are trying to solve?

Read this for some background:

You need to edit your original post, select the settings, then click the </> button so that the settings come through correctly. The forum software interprets surrounding text with underscores as a sign to italicize incorrectly and you need to wrap it in a code block to prevent this.

Also, your client settings should start with BESClient, not TEMClient.

See this page for general background on the client settings: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/Tivoli%20Endpoint%20Manager/page/Configuration%20Settings

Also, see this page for how to set client settings at client install time: https://gist.github.com/jgstew/51a99ab4b5997efa0318

The _BESClient_Resource_WorkIdle setting determines how long the BigFix client uses the CPU before stopping. It combined with the _BESClient_Resource_SleepIdle setting determine the maximum single core CPU usage of the client. The default ends up being around 2% maximum for a single CPU core.

I would not actually recommend using any of the following settings, unless you have a very good reason:

_BESClient_Resource_QuietEnable
_BESClient_Resource_QuietStartTime
_BESClient_Resource_QuietSeconds

I would recommend the following settings when a client is running on battery power:

_BESClient_Resource_PowerSaveEnable
_BESClient_Resource_PowerSaveTimeout0
_BESClient_Resource_PowerSaveTimeout1
_BESClient_Resource_PowerSaveTimeout2
_BESClient_Resource_PowerSaveTimeout3
_BESClient_Resource_PowerSaveTimeout4
_BESClient_Resource_PowerSaveTimeout5

Read about the concept here: Automatically adjust BESClient settings when on battery power

You can automatically adjust the client’s maximum CPU usage when a user is logged in, and then readjust it when a user is logged out, but even then I wouldn’t really recommend setting it lower than the default that is about 2%.

Sleep mode feature seems to be nice and would elope lot of Network traffic issue if placed right.

I’m using below link to implement this features

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21505851

But I’m not sure is this working or not.After applying all the four setting I’m stuck and I’m unable to see any kind of changes in IBM BigFix Console.Can you Please suggest me how does it work?

First of all, what are the network traffic issues you are having?

If that is what you are trying to solve, then there may be better ways to solve it.

You should eventually see that the settings are in place on your clients if you check the computer summary in the console, but if you have successfully enabled the Quiet mode, then that means you won’t be able to see changes in the console from those endpoints until the Quiet mode is over. Actions will also stop occurring.

In general, Quiet mode is a bad idea unless you have a set of endpoints you want to be effectively unmanaged for periods of time, and even then I wouldn’t recommend it.

1 Like