Skype Uninstallation

You are not actually moving it.
You left out the file name to move and the full path to the file.

move __download\Skype.ps1 c:\tempSKYPE\test4\Skype.ps1

Skype.ps1 getting move to tempSkype folder when I use my script.The only problem is script run but its not get executed.

What does your prefetch look like?

You are not actually moving anything with this line.

You have to add the name you put in your prefetch for the file.

1 Like

Here is the complete script.

prefetch 5d05386109ab4dc235a42b0ac4e8baf187fbea64 sha1:5d05386109ab4dc235a42b0ac4e8baf187fbea64 size:118 http://EDCTEM.tsys.tss.net:52311/Uploads/5d05386109ab4dc235a42b0ac4e8baf187fbea64/SkypeUninstall.tmp sha256:bff5e853d5b3f30bc3f9727445c097ef52a9acd2174f9922e2459504333823d7
extract 5d05386109ab4dc235a42b0ac4e8baf187fbea64

folder delete "c:\tempSKYPE"
if {not exist folder “c:\tempSKYPE”}
folder create "c:\tempSKYPE"
move __download c:\tempSKYPE\test4
delete __createfile
delete install.bat
createfile until __END
cd "c:\tempSKYPE\test4"
powershell.exe -noprofile -executionpolicy bypass -file “c:\tempSKYPE\test4\Skype.ps1”
__END
copy __createfile install.bat
waithidden install.bat

D.Dean has it correct, you’re not moving the correct file(s) from the __Download folder.

After you extract

extract 5d05386109ab4dc235a42b0ac4e8baf187fbea64

What file(s) are you expecting? Change your ‘move __download’ statement to match it.

I am copying the folder name “Skype Uninstall” which contains Skype.ps1 to c:\tempSKYPE\test4 and trying to run Skype.ps1 file.

Are you, though? You need to step through and debug your process.

Take an action that only does the download and extract. Then check the directory listing to see what’s actually in the __Download folder. Report back.

Skype.ps1 copied to c:\tempSKYPE\test4 folder.

Check Tip: Running Commands and Saving Output (Windows) for how to save the command output, and see what it says.

Also try disabling wow64 redirection

You could also drop the prefetch and use the createfile until command to build your script in the action and then save it to your file.

createfile until _end_of_script
All my Poweshell Script lines here.
Another line
Another line
another line
_end_of_script

move __createfile "c:\tempSKYPE\test4\Skype.ps1"

waithidden powershell -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File "c:\tempSKYPE\test4\Skype.ps1"

I have tried the below script and it completed with exit code 0. But skype doesn’t get uninstalled.

delete createfile
createfile until END
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.SkypeApp | Remove-AppxPackage | out-file "C:\temp\skype.txt"
END
delete myskype.ps1
move __createfile myskype.ps1
waithidden {(value “Path” of key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\1\ShellIds\Microsoft.PowerShell” of native registry) as string} -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File myskype.ps1

The output might be helpful. Check my earlier post.

BigFix actions, on Tasks, will report as “Completed” as long as BigFix was able to execute the command. It does not always return the error from the script or whatever you are executing.

I didn’t realize your PowerShell script had one line. You don’t even need to use a script or the create file, you can just run the command. As @JasonWalker stated, you may want to use a script and dump some error codes to see what is happening but you should be able to get that from the one line action script you can run to perform your task.

I am a novice at PS but I believe this will work

run cmd /k powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -NoLogo Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.SkypeApp | Remove-AppxPackage | out-file "C:\temp\skype.txt"

OR

waithidden cmd /k powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -NoLogo Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.SkypeApp | Remove-AppxPackage | out-file "C:\temp\skype.txt"Preformatted text`

1 Like

I have tried both commands.

1.run cmd /k powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -NoLogo Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.SkypeApp | Remove-AppxPackage | out-file “C:\temp\skype.txt”

Result : Completed with 0 exit code.But Skype is not uninstalled.

2.waithidden cmd /k powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -NoLogo Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.SkypeApp | Remove-AppxPackage | out-file “C:\temp\skype.txt”

Result : Action in running state for more than 12 hours. No result.

Hi @rupkumar

Can you share the Relevance statement you are using for identify if Skype is Install?

CMD /k will “keep CMD open” after running the command. It does not allow the CMD window to exit after running - good for debugging interactively but you’ll need CMD /C when running in BigFix, so the CMD window will “close” after the command executes.

Both versions should still write the output file, you need to check what is in the output.

@JasonWalker No output file was created. And FYI skype is installed via Microsoft Store.

If I run below powershell command manually,it works but same not working with Bigfix.

Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.SkypeApp | Remove-AppxPackage

Ahh, jeez, I knew that, just put the wrong argument.

1 Like

The command /k will keep the window open, and show the task as running. My mistake, sorry.

So since it is not even outputting to the log, you should run a command window as the system user and then run the command you put in BigFix from there, to see what is happening. BigFix runs as the local system user and sometimes you have to do this to see if it a user account issue.

If you have the app psexec.exe, you can open an Admin Command Window, run the following command…

psexec.exe -s -i cmd

when you do this, and get the new command window, do a whoami command to make sure you are on as the system user.

The run your powershell command there and see if you get an error.

Note: psexec.exe is a sysinternals application that used to be 3rd party but was acquired by Microsoft. If you have to download it, make sure it is coming from the Microsoft Website.

If you have other security teams in your company, you may get a notice from them that this tool may be blocked from running, just to let you know.

1 Like