Share 8.2 Upgrade Experiences?

(imported topic written by MattBoyd)

Has anyone deployed the upgrade yet? If so, what are your thoughts? We haven’t upgraded yet, but are looking into doing so by the end of this week. The upgrade looks to be a smooth one, despite many new (and welcome) features.

For anyone that’s looking into how AD/LDAP authentication works, it’s in the TEM Console Operator Guide (starting around page 55?): http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v26r1/topic/com.ibm.tem.doc_8.2/Tivoli_Endpoint_Manager_Console_Operators_Guide.pdf. It took me a while to find, mainly because I expected to see it in the Administrators Guide. I’m anxious to try it.

(imported comment written by cstoneba)

I upgraded our QA environment this morning (only 10 clients), but no issues. Like normal, I did have to force my BES relays and BES clients to upgrade by ignoring the fixlet relevance because they were slow to evaluate the upgrade fixlets as applicable.

LDAP authentication was really easy to setup, especially because the BES Root Service on our main bes is running as a domain service account, so I just told it to authenticate to AD as the Root Service user, and everything fell into place.

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

So far not to bad. Saw some clients where the upgraded agent hung. Had to kill the agent (would not stop) and restart. Now they are fine. Some of those same machines, when the besclient.exe was killed, reported 100+ instances of besclient.exe being killed.

AD integration was easy to set up as noted. Haven’t fully tested it yet, but looks good so far.

Apple OS X lion support is nice, but there doesn’t appear to be any 10.7 content?!?

Console seems slower, especially over a vpn connection. Web reports seems faster.

John

We’ve found an issue with version 8.2.1078, which can cause the root server and relays to crash if dynamic bandwidth throttling is enabled. The development team is hard at work producing a fix, which we plan to make available very shortly. If you have dynamic bandwidth throttling enabled in your deployment please wait for the patch release to upgrade. If you have already upgraded and are experiencing this problem, please temporarily disable dynamic bandwidth throttling and restart your root server and relay services. Thanks everyone for your patience - we’ll have this resolved shortly.

jspanitz

Apple OS X lion support is nice, but there doesn’t appear to be any 10.7 content?!?

We just released Mac 10.7 content in the Patches for Mac site v217. Please note that you need the newly released 8.2 agent in order to use the content. Thank you for your patience.

annanmin - Thank you for the heads up, luckily we do not use dynamic bandwidth throttling.

zevanty - I am just so impatient! Looking forward to testing out the content.

boyd / cstoneba - any other observations on your side?

(imported comment written by MattBoyd)

Just updated - everything went smoothly and did not require a reboot :). I haven’t had a chance to give the server/console/relays/clients a thorough workout yet, but my initial impressions are good. I do have a few observations:

• The icons next to each computer, which I’m assuming are there to show the physical system type, are nice. However, it looks like some of our physical servers have a laptop icon.
  • Initially, the console does seem like it’s a little less responsive at times… clearing my console cache might’ve helped… will need to do some more testing.
  • For “local” console operators - how do you manage the signing keys? I don’t see the menu item Tools > Manage Signing Key anymore…

We haven’t configured LDAP auth yet but it looks very straightforward… hoping to do that soon.

We’re not using dynamic throttling either at this time, but appreciate the heads up as well.

annamin

We’ve found an issue with version 8.2.1078, which can cause the root server and relays to crash if dynamic bandwidth throttling is enabled. The development team is hard at work producing a fix, which we plan to make available very shortly. If you have dynamic bandwidth throttling enabled in your deployment please wait for the patch release to upgrade. If you have already upgraded and are experiencing this problem, please temporarily disable dynamic bandwidth throttling and restart your root server and relay services. Thanks everyone for your patience - we’ll have this resolved shortly.

I am very interested in the outcome of this, as my company uses dynamic throttling heavily. We have been axciously awaiting 8.2, but now I am nervous to implement it.

(imported comment written by sinucus)

jspanitz

AD integration was easy to set up as noted. Haven’t fully tested it yet, but looks good so far.

John

I performed the upgrade on Monday and it went very smooth.

AD was a SNAP to setup, BUT… I came across a bug, which was already known. If you setup AD and give your AD users rights to a site the console will error out in certain circumstances. Once you’ve logged in with the AD credentials and copy multiple fixlets to a custom site you receive the error. You must manually grant that user “writer” privs. It’s a small bug that can be worked around so in no way a show stopper. It’s absolutely worth upgrading to get AD integration!

(imported comment written by bxk)

Boyd: For local CO’s you don’t need to manage the signing key anymore. The first time an existing user logs in, they should be prompted to give the console their signing key. It then takes it and keeps it server side.

No more trying to teach users to change their password in 2 places!

Great, that’s what I was hoping for. I just had a CO with a weird experience… not sure if it’s something the user did inadvertently or a bug.

The user launched the console, entered their password, and was prompted for their signing key. However, they weren’t able to log on after that. For subsequent attempts, they couldn’t get past the initial login prompt. Fortunately, they were able to log on after their password was reset via the TEM console. One notable comment the user made is that their console and signing key passwords were different, but they tried logging on using both passwords to no avail.

From the change log:

• Added the ability to set password policies for Console users

Where can I find details on this?

annamin

I take it that using static throttling will be ok?

(imported comment written by NoahSalzman)

Yes, static throttling is fine.

(imported comment written by FITZPAW91)

I just upgraded from version 8.1, and the only problem I had was on my TS servers, the client hung, and could not be upgraded until I killed the process. My relays had to be done by hand also.

Took me a bit to figure out the name of the service was changed to “Tivoli Endpoint Manager Client”

William

(imported comment written by Bhushan_Chirmade)

I have setup LDAP and active directory; everything looks good so far.

Noah

Do you have any other details on thie Dynamic throttling issue? This potential issue is causeing me to put my upgrade on hold.

(imported comment written by NoahSalzman)

We should know more today or tomorrow. Sorry for the delay in getting more details out.

Hi there!

The Fixlet’s link to instructions on upgrading manually is dead. It was there before! :slight_smile:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home?lang=en#/wiki/Tivoli%20Endpoint%20Manager/page/Upgrading

Is this in prep for another version coming (fixing the dynamic throttling stuff?)

8.2 patch is now available. The BES Support site has been updated to upgrade to version 8.2.1079. Please make sure your BES Support version is 832 or higher.

Thanks everyone!