Service Type Relevance Error

Searched both here and google, I believe my syntax is correct, but when I try to query the startup type of my service in Q&A or BES I get the following:

q: start type of service "BESClient"
E: Singular expression refers to nonexistent object.

I’ve tried different cases, different services, they all return this error. What am I missing?

This is on Win10, BES client 9. Trying to fix a service across 9500 clients and obviously need to only fix the ones that aren’t correct. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Even tried “of string”, didn’t help.

try this:

start type of service whose (service name of it as string = "BESClient" )

I believe that’s a known issue in certain versions of the BES client…what version client and what version QnA are you using?

Worked for me just now

q: start type of service “BESClient”
A: auto
T: 87.605 ms

Win10 x64 running bigfix & debugger version 9.5.2.56
Running FixletDebugger.exe as my non-admin user in the “qna” tab.

fermt: Tried, same error

Jason: 9.2.5.130

I have a service that is set to auto that I need to set to auto-delayed start. I don’t know how BES reflects that so I wanted to Q&A it before I did my relevance statement. If it works in BES and just not in Q&A, then do you know what the states are and I can just work in BES?

Yeah, I’m having trouble recalling…I think it was somewhere in the 9.2 line…I don’t recall whether it affected “start type of service” or maybe it was just “running services”…

Tried both qna.exe and fixletdebugger.exe, get the same error, even with the simplest command that Brian used above.

Brian, if a service is configured for auto-delayed start, what does your fixletdebugger return as a string? If I can get that value I’ll just go forward with that and skip the qna part.

q: unique values of start types of services
A: auto
A: demand
A: disabled
T: 109.531 ms
I: plural string with multiplicity

Again, what version of the client and what version of QnA are you running?
q: version of client
A: 9.5.2.56
T: 0.311 ms
I: singular version

When you run this in QnA with the Debug menu set to “Evaluate Using -> Local Fixlet Debugger Evaluator” it’ll return the QnA version, when run with “Evaluate Using -> Local Client Evaluator” it’ll show the BES Client version.

I don’t think there’s a property to show Delayed…here’s something I whipped up that might be useful though. I query the registry for each service that I can find, and check the “DelayedAutoStart” value of the service key. I’m only showing a few of the results here.

q: (pathnames of it, exists value "DelayedAutoStart" whose (it as integer = 1) of it) of keys (("HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\" & it) of (service names of services as string)) of native registry
    A: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\BESClient, True
    A: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\BFE, False
    A: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS, True
    A: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser, False
2 Likes

Sorry, we’re posting on top of each other. I see now you have the 9.2.5 client. Now I recall why it’s so familiar - here’s my earlier thread that “start type of service” is broken in 9.2.5 - 9.2.5 client issue with “start type of services” inspector

The known bug for this is APAR IV76004.

I’m not sure exactly which patch fixed it, but it’s definitely ok in 9.2.7.

Just “auto”.
I guess that should be a feature request.