Secure Parameters failing in baseline

Hey folks, first time running fixlets with secure parameters as components in a baseline. It appears as if a component has a secure parameter, it will fail ONLY inside of a baseline. I’m running Bigfix v10.3. Has anyone ever heard of this by any chance, or is there a way for me to enable this functionality. I am getting Command failed (Substitution failed while writing file) createfile until end . If I run these fixlets individually, they work fine, only inside a baseline do they fail

Any info would be appreciated, thank you.

I’m not sure Fixlets with Secure Parameters can be issued in a Baseline (at least not from the Console, but the REST API should be possible)?

Secure Parameters are generally entered in the Description tab of the Fixlet, and there is JavaScript behind the “Take Action” event that encrypts the values before submitting the action. In the context of a Baseline, that individual per-fixlet JavaScript is skipped.

Where would one even set the values for the parameters when using a Baseline? Did you customize something in the Baseline description to provide a value? I haven’t looked into a method like that, but maybe it’s possible?

Thanks for the quick response Jason. I think I’ll have to just get these passwords into our password vault and just query them in the actionscript in the fixlet. I appreciate the info, thank you sir.

-Jesse

Nice use case.

You will actually need to identify each Secure Parameter that each Fixlet is using and allow the user a way to input that information.

On the Console - Need to check if Baseline can have custom HTML elements and JavaScript.
On the REST API Side - I’ve check the BES.xsd file - https://software.bigfix.com/download/bes/110/util/BES11.0.0.175.xsd - If think that under MultipleActionGroup each Action can have the SecureParamer

Ill make some tests
@heagsta Just to make sure , on the WebUI if you deploy the Baseline you also can’t input the secure parameters, right?

If you move the Secure Parameter into the description of the Baseline, then they will cascade to the children and can be used in the children’s action script. (can be done with REST as well)

I think Jason did it with API in this post:

2 Likes