Run analysis Operating System Information (UNIX)

As far as I’ve seen analysis “Operating System Information (UNIX)” runs only once a day. In case of OS updates this might lead to confusion as wrong sites and fixlets might get relevant.

I didn’t find an option the lower the frequency. However, it would make more sense to leave it at “once a day” and trigger a run and the end of an OS update fixlet.

Is there a way to trigger a run?

I don’t think you cannot trigger the re-evaluation of an analysis which has a time constraint such as “once a day”.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. Meanwhile I’ve found some similar questions leading to the idea to force a full refresh.
I will give it a try to place this after yum update fixlet.

Hi Matthias,

My understanding is that Fixlets and Sites cannot reference analysis properties to determine applicability.

Can you share some more details about your concern here?

1 Like

Lets assume we have a RHEL in Version 7.6, running and appearing in BigFix with this Version.
If we now run yum update we well have RHEL 7.9 as Version.
If the analysis “Operating System Information (UNIX)” runs 10h later, we will have for 10h wrong OS Version in BigFix.

To get this a little bit speeded up my idea is to have a fixlet running “yum update” and a task “force full refresh”. Both maybe within a baseline.

Yes, there is an Actionscript command you can use to force the client to refresh all properties. It should be used sparingly to prevent unnecessary load on the server, but an OS upgrade as you describe is a good use-case for it.

notify client forcerefresh

2 Likes

Are you referring to a property within the analysis? If so then maybe changing the refresh interval on the property will help rather that doing a forced refresh. Analysis as a whole do not have an refresh interval that I’m aware of, but the properties within them do and can be set from 15 mins to 30 days.

1 Like

Yes, that would usually be an option but here I believe we are referring to out-of-box analyses from the “BES Inventory and License” site, so we cannot modify the properties or their evaluation periods.

2 Likes

To be totally clear though the value for that property has no effect on anything else in BigFix other than the result in that property.