Root Server Migration - New Network/New LDAP

I am in the process of planning/testing a root server migration from one LDAP domain to another. When i attempt to do this in my test environment, I end up having to do a gather state reset on the root server (https://support.hcltechsw.com/csm?id=kb_article&sysparm_article=KB0023994). Is this expected or am i missing a step that would avoid this?

On initial thought, I would not expect a gather state reset to be required for a migration of LDAP configuration for the Root Server (I don’t see how they would be related). Can you share more details on the symptoms/issues you experienced in your test environment?

1 Like

sure, after completing all the steps in this doc: https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/10.0/platform/Platform/Config/t_mgrt_rootapp_server.html and installing BigFix on my new server the besclient.log file on the root server is filled with errors (as is the gatherdb.log file). The root server never populates items like OS, IP, agent version, etc. Once i complete the gather state reset procedure all the errors in the client and gather log clear.

Ah, I think I misunderstood…you performed a Server migration (i.e. migrating the underlying system/OS associated with the Root Server…likely from a system on one domain to another domain…rather than change the domain of the underlying OS and/or of the LDAP configuration for the Root Server for Operator authentication).

A server migration is certainly a more complex process. To confirm, you did not change Root Server installation paths as part of the migration, correct?

I actually did change the path… went from c drive to e drive. I know the documentation called that out and said it would be addressed in a further step but i did not see anything specific about this.

OK, this is starting to make more sense now :slight_smile:

Changing the path would lead to this behavior, and doing a gather state reset is certainly one way to address it.

It’s been a while since I’ve actually done a server migration, but I believe the manual modification required would be to update all the paths in the GatherState.XML (…\BES Server\Mirror Server\Inbox\GatherState.xml) to the new location (in your case, to the new path on the E drive). Worth testing of course to validate!

1 Like

i didn’t see that described in the procedure (I may have missed it). I will definitely test this out… thanks for your help Aram!

tested it out… much smoother this time. No errors. Thanks again Aram.

1 Like