RFE - features for BigFix.me

Here is a list of things I’d like to see added to http://bigfix.me/

• Add Baselines
  • Remove new user registration from activity feed, possibly include in a separate feed directly below “Visitor Statistics”
  • Bring back the per-user feeds on the user’s profile. ( this was visible, then RSS only, but now - last I checked - the RSS was broken )
  • I have trouble finding my own content on the site. The sites feature was a step in the right direction, but it would be nice if there were a better way for me to get an overview of my own content and find it / arrange it / display it / etc…
  • “Content Keyword Tag Cloud” and “Popular Searches” don’t seem particularly useful and should be pushed down the page. “Popular Searches” should probably come first.
  • BigFix.me’s display of Fixlet content chokes on some complex create file actionscript like here: http://bigfix.me/fixlet/details/3968

Also, a way to share ActionScript snippets in a similar way that relevance can be shared on its own.

I’ll add more as I think of them.

2 Likes

The hosting for bigfix.me has changed a few times. What errors are you getting for the RSS feed?

See here: http://bigfix.me/rss/feed/jgstew

I’d ask for a way of sharing Dashboards, and to add comments or blog entries containing HTML codes.

1 Like

Good point, ability to share Dashboards and Wizards would be great.

Custom Web Reports as well.

Hi jgstew
Thanks very much for your suggestions, as veteran user of the site your suggestions are very precious for us !
I’m in charge of bigfix.me web site and I will update and maintain it.
I’ll work on your suggestions as soon as I finish my current work.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me for any further suggestions on bigfix.me.

1 Like

What role does bigfix.me hold exactly? I have a list of IBM forums that just seem to daisy chain off the next and it get super confusing.

bigfix.me is a place to share and find custom fixlets/tasks/analyses/etc that are written by BigFix users. Think of it as GitHub, but just for BigFix-specific content. Does that make sense?

1 Like

forum.bigfix.com should/will be the only forum for BigFix related discussions going forward.

bigfix.me is dedicated to sharing bigfix content. It does have comments on those content, but most discussion should be happening over at forum.bigfix.com not on bigfix.me

Another thing… I’d like to be able to automatically submit content to BigFix.me through an API if possible. I might be able to figure this out using something like CURL, but it would be easier if there was an easier way to do this.

Additionally, it would be useful if there was an API key so that username/password wouldn’t be required for this.

Of course, this also potentially opens things up to abuse more easily… so it may require some sort of controls so that SPAM accounts can’t flood bigfix.me

Hey, the RSS feed functionality has definitely been on the fritz and we’re working on getting the issue resolved. At the moment we don’t have a timeframe for a resolution, but I just wanted to let you all know that we are aware and we’ll let you know as we make progress.

1 Like

One very nice thing about bigfix.me is the syntax highlighting:

• ActionScript
  • Relevance
  • Session Relevance

I’d like to see syntax highlighting for BigFix languages added to highlight.js so that it can easily be used on any website, including this one. It is very likely that highlight.js could be used on BigFix.me and other places to impliment BigFix specific syntax highlighting in a modular and reusable way.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/adding-additional-languages-to-highlight-js-used-by-discourse/22925

In a similar way, support for language detection and syntax highlighting in GitHub’s Linguist would be useful: GitHub - github-linguist/linguist: Language Savant. If your repository's language is being reported incorrectly, send us a pull request!

1 Like

Oh, man, adding relevance and action script highlighting to Discourse is a great idea.

Maybe we could start with the Sublime Text extensions that @greenb made that support syntax highlighting for relevance and action script.

Looks like this pull request will need to be merged into Discourse before we can add additional language support.

1 Like

I’ll look into highlight.js support. I’m not sure Linguist would add support for relevance and actionscript since in their CONTRIBUTING.md file they say:

We try only to add languages once they have some usage on GitHub. In most cases we prefer that languages be in use in hundreds of repositories before supporting them in Linguist.

1 Like

There is also some sort of syntax highlighting built into BigFix.me already.

I agree that Linguist support is less likely to happen and lower priority, but an interesting idea all the same. I do wonder if adding linguist support even if GitHub doesn’t accept the addition would be useful for anything else using Linguist… at PSU we have an internal GitLab instance and I wonder if that uses Linguist and could have it added.

Also, I didn’t know about the Sublime Text extensions… I’ll have to get right on that.

I think that might be what is needed to make modifications to the hightlight.js Discourse uses by default configurable, but I don’t think that pull request would be required to replace highlight.js by hand to include the addition. (not that manual patches are a great idea, but it seems like if it were forgotten, it would just mean that the syntax highlighting would go away every Discourse update, which is a minor issue)

I also wonder if highlight.js could be leveraged by the WebUI and any other website without much trouble, in which case adding the syntax highlighting would be very useful. I could imagine a browser extension which would load the highlight.js into certain webpages for you automatically.

Something like these:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/highlightjs/IK-uPMIK8DQ
GitHub - adam-p/markdown-here: Google Chrome, Firefox, and Thunderbird extension that lets you write email in Markdown and render it before sending. (uses highlight.js in fenced code blocks in a browser ext)
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/syntaxtic/cgjalgdhmbpaacnnejmodfinclbdgaci?hl=en
How to Add Syntax Highlighting to Google Chrome | Lifehacker

I just submitted a pull request to highlight.js.

1 Like

More BigFix.me missing functionality:

At one point everything submitted into bigfix.me automatically replicated into a custom site on a sandboxed BigFix infrastructure and work was being done to allow automatic syncronization into any arbitrary infrasctructure you wanted very similar to bigfix labs.

In fact, one feature of BigFix.me that is gone now that I would love to see return is that there were VMs for a bunch of different types of operating systems in this infrastructure that contained all relevance content from BigFix.me and the results of all relevance posted to BigFix.me from each of these VMs would be listed on the webpage of that relevance. It was like a fully automated Continuous Integration for relevance, which was super neat.

My workflow often was that I would get something new and functional in the fixlet debugger, then immediately post it to bigfix.me for versionsing before I went too far down the path of optimizing and tweaking so that I would have a record of the working state of the relevance in case I broke it. The really neat thing about this automated testing of relevance BigFix.me used to have is I could quickly see what worked and what didn’t on Windows XP vs Windows 8 when I was writing my relevance against Windows 7. These results often lead me to tweak and optimize my relevance based upon the results listed in BigFix.me

Similarly this automated relevance testing was a really great way to be writing relevance in the Windows Fixlet Debugger and then see the results on Mac OS X & Linux when trying to write cross platform relevance. There isn’t really a great way to test relevance quickly across many platforms, especially if you don’t spin up a bunch of VMs of your own.

It should be entirely possible to implement the sandboxed infrastructure and VMs completely on a Mac Mini running ESXi in a vLAN that is only able to be accessed by the BigFix.me servers. ( I suggest a Mac Mini and ESXi as that is the only real option to virtualize OS X )

@lattanas

BigFix.me is down at the moment… not sure if this is a planned outage or not.

We know about that, it’s due to the hosting infrastructure being in maintenance. Working with the operation team to resolve and restore the server ASAP. Don’t have an exact ETA but I hope it’s a matter of 1h or so.

max

1 Like

The site is now back on line…
Sorry for this disruption, anyway we hope you will also enjoy the new enhancements :wink:

1 Like