Restart Linux via BigFix

Is there an existing fixlet that will restart Linux? if not what would be the action script to do so? also what would be the relevance statement to determine if server needs a reboot.
thank you!

There is an actionscript command to restart the OS https://developer.bigfix.com/action-script/reference/client/restart.html

But any action can request a restart after the action completes as well. This is available in the take action dialog.

There are three tasks in the BES Support site that will detect if an endpoint is in a Pending Restart state:

177 Restart Needed
391 Restart Needed - Not Triggered by a BES Action
390 Restart Needed - Triggered by a BES Action

For the first one the relevance is simply:

pending restart

You can also take action on these tasks to restart the endpoint, the actionscript command to restart the endpoint is:

continue if {not locked of action lock state}
action requires restart

You could also use an actionscript command for Windows systems of:

restart 60

This would restart the endpoint in 60 seconds

Or, you could use the following restart command on non-Windows endpoints to restart the endpoint machine:

shutdown -r +1

To restart the machine in 1 minute

1 Like

i did try creating a custom fixlet with the following action script to reboot a linux server

shutdown -r +5 “Server received Security Patches and will restart in 5 minutes. Please save your work.”

but it did a halt with generic 1 minute message instead

I believe the restart 60 command will also work on Linux endpoints, give that a try as well.

so my linux server should become relevant to one of the “Restart needed” fixlets after installing security patches?