Repetitious records on console

(imported topic written by yangshikang)

if a client has not registered with the server for 6 months or longer , we will find a repetitious record on the console when the client register successfully again 6 months later

Have you ever found this phenomena ?

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hey yangshikang,

There are lots of things that can cause an agent to become a “duplicate” including: re-imaging the computer, messing with the BES Client registry keys, computerID conflicts from multiple computers, restoring the registry from a backup, and so on… I don’t know of any specific reason why a 6 month gap would cause a computer to reset itself. What version of the agent are you running?

Ben

(imported comment written by yangshikang)

Hey Ben ,

version of agent :6.0.8.5 Chinese edition

Maybe the “ReportSequenceNumber” cause the “duplicate”

If the “ReportSequenceNumber” is too small in a long time , the agent will release the license seat and retrieval a computer id

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hi yangshikang,

The way it works is that both the server and the agent keep track of a sequence number that is incremented each time the agent tries to register. If the server ever receives a sequence number that is smaller than last time for the computerID (which should not be possible), the server tells the agent to reset. I don’t know of any reason this might happen if the agent is offline for too long…

Ben

(imported comment written by yangshikang)

Thanks

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

I would like to get to the bottom of this particular problem but usually we find lots of known causes of duplicate computers and run this tool regularly to clean them out:

http://support.bigfix.com/bes/install/downloadutility.html#besduplicateremoval

There ends up being a few ways duplicates get created and its usually easier to just clear them out than to track down the root cause of all of them. Some of the known causes are computer being re-imaged, the client being wiped and reinstalled, an application reseting the registry like deep freeze…