Remote control troubleshoot

Hi,

I have performed remote control server upgrade in our environment.
In Lab env, it all worked succesfully.

On another server, although performed the same configs, it is not. We receive "Failed to connect to {ip address}"message.

We have managed environment, the server, a few controllers and a few targets.
How can we pinpoint the issue? We have not found usefull details in logs, not set it to highest logging level yet though.

Hi DSimona,

Can you be more precise about the procedure that you followed to upgrade the server ?
Where do you see the error message “Failed to connect to …” ?
Is the server service started ?

Please provide us this additional information
Federico

Hi Federico,

I have downloaded the new media for server using “Download IBM BigFix Remote Control Server for Windows” and then ran the exe file. Have configured the properties files the same as in lab environment.
Installed target and controller components as well - via BigFix console deployments.
The error received is when trying to remote on one of the targets from one of the controllers, using the remote portal. And yes, all services up and running.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Thank you!

Is the Target service up and running ?
Could you provide us the trc_base_XXX.log file ?

I don’t think that the problem is the server itself. Once that the Controller is started the communication is established between the Controller and the Target. A Gateway may be also involved if configured. The connection from from the Controller to the Server and from the Target to Server is only used at the beginning of the connection to validate the data.

Hi, thanks for the reply. It was indeed not a server/config issue as this work on other tests afterwards.
I wanted a few troubleshooting steps that I might have overstepped.
I will provide the log file on Tuesday as I will not have access on it until then.

My suspicion now is that the controller/target were not in the same lan and the connection failed (as we do not have any gateways or brokers configured)