Relevance Question regarding BigSur

Hello, I’m new here, apologies if this isn’t the correct place to post this.

We used to have an applicability relevance that would find a macOS for each version. It was:

name of operating system = “Mac OS X” and version of operating system as string starts with “10.15”

Now with BigSur, I want to create the same thing. However, I don’t have a BigSur machine on hand for testing at the moment, and have no idea if this line will still hold true. Would it be this now?

name of operating system = “Mac OS X” and version of operating system as string starts with “11”

I’m assuming Mac OS X change to something, but what? Mac OS XI? Also, would “11” still be correct?

Sorry again if this isn’t the right place, but thanks for any help!

The recently released Patch 17 of BigFix 9.5 introduces Agent support for Mac OS 11 (Big Sur) x86-64.

The operating system string reported by the BigFix Agent 9.5.17 will look like this:

Q: operating system
A: macOS 11.0.1 (20B29)

On a related note, after upgrading a Mac system to Mac OS 11 (Big Sur) the installed BigFix Agent may temporary report the operating system as “Mac OS X 10.16 (20B29)”. That would be due to the Mac system running the unsupported 10.14 package of the BigFix Agent 9.5.17 instead of the 11.0 package, which is the one that officially supports Mac OS 11 (Big Sur).

In such a case, you may take advantage of the following BES Support fixlet (ID = 4846) to replace the 10.14 package of the BigFix Agent 9.5.17 with the 11.0 one on all Mac OS 11 systems and thus move them to the supported case:

WARNING: BigFix Client Version 9.5.17 needs a package update on Mac OS 11

Update of 01-22-2021:

BigFix 10 introduces Agent support for Mac OS 11 (Big Sur) x86-64 starting from Patch 2.

Everything specified above about 9.5.17 is also valid for 10.0.2.

1 Like

Because the string name of the operating system can change, I’d recommend using

mac of operating system

For version-specific things,

mac of operating system and version of operating system >= "11"

I’d recommend version of operating system > “10.15.99” in order to capture all of the Big Sur permutations.

1 Like

Though version of operating system > "10.15" would do the trick. It will only compare to the minimum version provided