Referencing values of properties from other properties

(imported topic written by MartinZ91)

I was writing some relevance to evaluate properties from registry and/or file contents. The results are pathnames to some executables of which I want to get version info for example. I also want to do further properties/analysis based on this version info and the filenames.

I would like to have the results of each of these steps as results of custom analysis properties, which works quite well when I create separate properties for all these items. Since the basic parts of the relevance are always the same I have to rewrite those into each property. That works, but…

I’m having trouble to change those relevance statements, if just one of the input items changes (i.e. the double quote is replaced by a single quote or something else). I would have to change all properties accordingly.

Is it possible to get the results of a property-evaluation as input to further evaluations in other properties? Thus I could create a “basic” property just analysing the contents, and reference the result in the other properties.

I could not find any inspector "value of property " or something similar. I would be nice to have an “export” feature, so I could name a property which wil be seen in “global” scope.

What chances do I have to reference property values (results of evaluations) from relevance in other properties?

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hi Martin,

References to other properties in relevance are not available by-design due to issues regarding unintended consequences of references changing. “by reference” schemes often have serious confusion or security issues and we have avoided those by avoiding references in general in BES.

Having said that, there is something you can do, which basically stores the value in “dynamic setting” and then reference the setting.

To do this, right-click on a computer, and go to “Edit Settings” > “More Options”. In the “Custom Settings” area, create a setting, specify the name (i.e. “TestName”) and then the value of the setting can be relevance surrounded in “{}”.

You will see that a new setting created that has the value of the relevance. You can now refer to the setting value using: ‘value of setting “TestName” of client’

Note that it is best to avoid doing this too often because it generally adds complexity to your deployment.

Ben

(imported comment written by MartinZ91)

Ben,

Thanks for this reply, it really solved my problem. Sure, it will add complexity to the deployment, but as far as I’m involved I see patch management as a quite complex task anyhow.

regards, Martin