Questions about password protected hotfixs, Java updates, and IE8

(imported topic written by SystemAdmin)

Hey guys,

One of my console operators has some concerns and I’m not well versed on this aspect of Big Fix. I’m reading through documentation now but was hoping someone could give some insight or advice on the below:

thanks,

Baraq

1. There seems to be an increasing trend of Microsoft password protecting a hotfix. How and or what do I do as a console operator to fix this problem? See first three patches listed below.

2265716: Update for Windows 7

Patches for Windows (English) Update 196 KB Microsoft Q2265716

Note: The hotfix is password protected by Microsoft, and has to be manually cached for it to run correctly.

Note: There is no default action for the Fixlet message because it requires additional preparation before deployment.

968730: Update for Windows XP SP3

Patches for Windows (English) Update 735 KB Microsoft Q968730

Note: The hotfix is password protected by Microsoft, and has to be manually cached for it to run correctly.

Note: There is no default action for the Fixlet message because it requires additional preparation before deployment.

968730: Update for Windows Server 2003 SP2

Patches for Windows (English) Update 732 KB Microsoft Q968730

1. Since update 18, additional work has to be done by someone. Again, how or what do I do to enable Big Fix to patch this update?

Java Runtime Environment 6 update 24 Available (JRE 6 Installed)

Updates for Windows Applications Security Update 15.33 MB Sun

Important Note: Follow the link for the ‘Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 update 24’ download on this page. The file “jre-6u24-windows-i586.exe” must be downloaded, renamed “e9d8c7c1f7722243a570a6d7f1e357aecb950679”, and placed in the BES Server download cache for this action to complete successfully.

1. This patch is showing up in the enterprise even though it is patched. We have manually patched machines both with a Microsoft download and using the Big Fix supplied download. Both report the software is installed – how do we get Big Fix to acknowledge that fact and stop reporting that a patch is still needed?

MS11-003: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer - IE 8 - Windows 7

Patches for Windows (English) Security Hotfix 10.98 MB Microsoft Q2482017

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

Ok, think i found my answers

our console operator don’t have access to the download directory so out master operators will have to manually download hotfixes from Microsoft and updates from Sun.

a reboot fixes Item#3