Power Management

(imported topic written by jr6591)

In the old PM site, Force Standby in PC Insomnia Conditions needed Enable user Idle Time Tracking to be run in order for it to be relevant.

Is this not needed in the new site? I don’t see Enable User idle Time tracking and no PC’s in the in my deployment are relevant for new Force Standby in PC Insomnia Conditions .

Thanks

(imported comment written by jeremylam)

User Idle Time Tracking in the new site is integrated with the new Power Tracking method. However, the site is not backwards compatible; ie fixlets in the new site will detect PC Insomnia conditions only if the new Power Tracking method is enabled and do not check the results of the separate Idle Time Tracking method used in the old site.

Have you already enabled Power Tracking with the new content? Are there any issues with these computers in the Power Management Health Checks?

(imported comment written by jr6591)

I haven’t deployed Power Tracking. i just deployed it to a few test PC’s right now. The task suggests that it can be deployed with default assumptions. Can those assumptions be changed and if so where? DOes this install a service and if a PC had the Enable user idle Time Tracker installed before, will it conflict? Thanks

Hi jr,

After deploying Power Tracking, the assumptions can be changed with the “Manage Custom Assumptions” wizard. It is located underneath Setup and Configuration -> Manage Custom Assumptions in the navigation tree.

If Power Tracking is deployed on a 7.2 client, the BES Client Logging Service is installed to track activity states. On a 8.0 client, this feature is integrated into the BigFix client. In both of those situations, they should not conflict with the Idle Time Tracker from the older version of Power Management. Keep in mind there is a Fixlet called “Force Standby in PC Insomnia Conditions” in both sites, and they check for PC Insomnia in different methods depending on what method of tracking idle time is in their respective sites.

Hope this helps.

(imported comment written by jr6591)

If I had the new PM environemnt installed on 7.2 clients, i would have the BES Client Loggin service installed and started. I then upgraded the client to 8.0 and ran the task to enable integrated power tracking inspectors. I noticed that the BES Client Logging service is set to Automatic but it is not started.

Is there not a task that will actually remove that service from the desktop if the service is not required. Having a service set to Automatic but not running is not very clean.

Hi jr,

You can use the task “Uninstall BES Client Logging Service” (ID 452) in the BES Support site to uninstall the BES Client Logging Service.