Plural relevance issue on macOS - BigFix v9.5.2.56

BigFix QnA version: 9.5.2.56
macOS version: 10.12.1

These should be equivalent:

Q: exists files "QnA GUI" of folders "Contents/MacOS" of folders "QnA GUI.app" of (it; folders "Utilities" of it) of folders "/Applications"
E: The expression could not be evaluated: 
T: 280
I: boolean

AND:

Q: exists files "QnA GUI" of folders "Contents/MacOS" of folders whose(name of it = "QnA GUI.app") of folders of (it; folders "Utilities" of it) of folders "/Appl
A: True
T: 29950

This relevance looks in 2 different folders for a folder named “QnA GUI.app”, in both cases using plural relevance. The folder only exists in 1 of 2 places, but the plural relevance should prevent the error by skipping over the location where the folder is not found.

The issue is with this part. The plural is merely one of convenience. When you construct a folder with one of these “Named” inspectors it must exist. The other checks for the existence. Also I’m not sure that the folder inspector can handle the result of the (it; folders “Utilities” of it) as it expects a singular.

A lot of the inspectors look the same but only some are true plurals.

1 Like

I think you are somehow incorrect because I’m fairly sure it wasn’t this way before, because I use this sort of thing all of the time, especially on windows, and it seems to be fixed in the newest patch:

Q: version of client
A: 9.5.4.38
T: 5003
I: version

Q: exists files "QnA GUI" of folders "Contents/MacOS" of folders "QnA GUI.app" of (it; folders "Utilities" of it) of folders "/Applications"
A: True
T: 1354

folders "QnA GUI.app" might technically be singular, but the important part is that it should catch and ignore nonexistence errors instead of throwing them. That’s really what makes it a plural in my mind is how it behaves in an error condition.

Q: folders "C:\Windows\temp";folders "/tmp"
A: /tmp
T: 161
I: folder

Relevance eval is halted on nonexistence error when singular:

Q: folder "C:\Windows\temp";folder "/tmp"
E: Singular expression refers to nonexistent object.
T: 166

Here are related examples:

Q: folders ("/";"/tmp")
A: /
T: 157

Q: (it; folders "tmp" of it) of folders "/"
A: /
T: 77

Q: folders ("tmp";"Users") of folders "/"
A: /Users
T: 333

Q: number of folders of (it; folders "Utilities" of it) of folders "/Applications"
A: 81
T: 9975
I: integer

Q: number of folders of (it) of folders "/Applications"
A: 57
T: 7984
I: integer

I guess I need to dig up an older version of the client to see if the behavior is the same or not. The fact that it seems to be fixed in the newest version suggests there isn’t anything to fix, but this regression for at least version 9.5.2.56 isn’t great, especially if this wasn’t fixed on purpose.

Ahh you are right. It was either you or @strawgate that reported the issue in the first place

I believe this was fixed in 9.5.3 per the technical changelist ( Issue 72453 - APAR IV86976 - “FOLDER” INSPECTOR MAY RETURN AN ERROR ON MAC CLIENTS )

1 Like

Now I vaguely remember this. I wish I knew when / where it was reported to link it to this. Glad it is fixed.

From the download pages on support.bigfix.com you can get to the releases and see the technical changelist. This one is at https://support.bigfix.com/bes/changes/fullchangelist-95.txt

1 Like

Here was my original post: SOLVED: Issue with folders "..." of folders on Mac OS

Glad to hear it’s fixed :slight_smile:

1 Like