Pending Restart status not changing after rebooting many times

Hi All,

We are facing the issue with status update.
After patching we restarted systems but their status is not changing although Last Report time has changed.

I have checked manually for below registry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\BigFix\EnterpriseClient\BESPendingRestart\BESPendingRestart"
it isn’t clearing flags from this path.

Not only after patching but also after taking action “Restart Needed - Triggered by a BES Action” , status doesn’t change after rebooting.

This is not the issue with particular system, we are getting this issue with many systems for many customers.

Any update on this?

Thanks in advance…

Manoj Thathera

2 Likes

Hi Manoj,

We are also facing the same issue.
Please let us know resolution if solved.

Thanks in Advance…

Divya Pawar

Check the discussion at 9.5.2 problem with detecting restart? for several registry to check what’s still flagging restart required.

Thanks for the reply @JasonWalker but in my case patches are installed 3 days ago and system got restarted many times. But still that flag is not cleared.
I saw an option where we can put an exception for a particular flag but this will not serve our problem, because I may don’t even know every time which flag is not getting cleared.

Need to know some other option because this is happening for a multiple customers and they are using quiet latest version.
BigFix server version 9.5.7 and 9.5.3.

Regards,
Manoj Thathera

Check that mentioned post by @JasonWalker but specifically the section 9.5.2 problem with detecting restart? and look at the registry items there as that is what controls the pending restarts.

Thanks for reply @AlanM
We understand that but the question is why those entries were not cleared automatically after taking many reboots.
Because the problem here is we are patching the servers with specific down time and have to restart the server in that maintenance period only.

We are deploying baseline without post restart, and we will restart the server later which will come under “Restart Needed - Triggered by BES Action”.

We are 100% relying on task “Restart Needed - Triggered by BES Action” for restart.

But many servers are patched before maintenance period and owner has restarted the server but they are again showing relevant in “Restart Needed - Triggered by BES Action” because their registries are not getting cleared and those servers will get restart again.

Please help us to tackle this scenario.

Thanks in advance
Manoj Thathera

In my case, we narrowed it down to Symantec Endpoint Protection still requiring an additional reboot because it was populating PendingFileRenameOperations even after a reboot.

Our “solution” so far is to set _BESClient_ActionManager_PendingRestartExclusions to ignore “Symantec” in the PendingFileRenameOperations registry key which causes the reboot to actually clear the pending restart flag.

Then we have a second restart task that checks if the servers are “not pending restart” but the PendingFileRenameOperations has the Symantec references.

1 Like

The issue is that the system must have cleared the “reboot needed” stage for any BigFix marked pending restarts to be cleared. If the system restarts but any of those registry entries are populated, except by the exclusion entries, then no pending restart is cleared in BigFix as we don’t know what particular restart wasn’t cleared.

The OS and the installers are the only thing that clears those locations, not BigFix

1 Like

I had this issue also and based on some reading I created this analysis.Check PendingFileRenameOperations.bes (1.9 KB)

I did have to limit the return of the contents of the pendingfilerename as some of these can be really large. In my case, it seemed that the Symantec Endpoint Client install would leave entries there.

1 Like

Hi Manoj,
Please check the below link ,you could find the solution.The same issue i faced earlier

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21506002

Thanks
Harish