Pending downloads "...waiting for another process..."

(imported topic written by RP12)

What does this message mean? I’ve been noticing it more and more.

“The client is waiting for another process to release files in the action download folder.”

I’ve deleted the contents from “…\BES Client__BESData__Global__Download\actionsite” but that doesn’t seem to help.

We have bes client version ranging from 6.0.15.7 thru 7.0.9.110 on our XP systems, if this matters.

Thanks,

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hi RP,

I believe this error means that another application is still running and holding a lock on the folder: “C:\Program Files\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\actionsite__download” (notice it is a slightly different folder from the one you posted)… This might happen if you have a long-running process that is still active from another action. See if you can look at this folder and see if there is a file there or if you can delete that folder.

Ben

(imported comment written by jessewk)

Further explanation from one of our developers:

The client is trying to make sure that anything left over from previous actions is cleared from the __Download folder before it moves the prefetch files into place. Failure to clean this up leads to a violation of an invariant most actions depend upon and can lead to the use of stuff from a prior action, which leads to chaos, disorder, and a large change in the entropy of the universe.

The origin site is usually the Fixlet site the action came from, or the action site.

The most common manifestation of this behavior is when a prior action launched an application via the ‘run’ command and it hasn’t exited yet.

So if you have actions that launch something using the run command that depend on a download, you should move the downloaded files outside of the BESClient folder before launching the run command.

Jesse

(imported comment written by SHooper)

Is there a way to fix this issue? I have a couple hundred systems that will not process any task with a download in it. They are still reporting retrieve values, and will run simple tasks to set reg keys, but nothing with a payload. Any suggestions?

Hey BenKus,

“I believe this error means that another application is still running and holding a lock on the folder: “C:\Program Files\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\actionsite__download” (notice it is a slightly different folder from the one you posted)… This might happen if you have a long-running process that is still active from another action. See if you can look at this folder and see if there is a file there or if you can delete that folder.”

does this have to be done on the client locally?

Suggest you start a new thread (maybe including a link to this old thread if you think it’s related). This is a six-year-old discussion, and I don’t think Ben’s active in the forum any more.

Jason Walker,

Roger that, thank you.

Buenas tardes tengo el mismo problema. Con una accion y no se completa, quisiera saber la solución que podría realizarse ante este problema.

Se ha iniciado otro proceso con el comando ‘esperar’ o ‘ejecutar’ pero el proceso no se ha completado, dejando la carpeta bloqueada.

Debe encontrar y eliminar el proceso que mantiene bloqueada la carpeta de descarga. Probablemente fue lanzado por una acción anterior.

Si no puede encontrar el proceso que mantiene la carpeta bloqueada, es posible que deba reiniciar.

Esto suele suceder porque creó un comando de ‘esperar’ o ‘ejecutar’ para un instalador de software, pero no incluyó opciones de línea de comandos para que se ejecute de forma silenciosa/desatendida. La mayoría de los instaladores presentarán un cuadro de diálogo interactivo como “Presione Aceptar para continuar”, pero al iniciarse desde BigFix, el programa se ejecuta como LocalSystem. El cuadro de diálogo no es visible para el usuario, por lo que no se puede hacer clic en él y no se completará por sí solo.

Para evitar que esto ocurra en el futuro, agregue opciones de línea de comandos silenciosas/desatendidas para el programa que no se completó.

Hola Jason,

Comprendo lo me que me comentas lo tendré en cuenta para otros desligues que tenga el mismo problema.

De igual manera correspondiente a este fixlet, tengo otro caso abierto si me puedes ayudar a que si se pueda ejecutar la instalación del software. Para que no se refleje este estado de “espera” o “ejecutar”