Paramerterized Fixlets - Interactive scripting in BigFix Console Descriptions?

How do we add interactive bubbles like these into our Descriptions?

do you mean, how do you add this to your own fixlets and tasks descriptions in the console?

It just uses HTML and JavaScript. There is a special way you can do relevance within JavaScript and call a function when the Take Action button is clicked.

Could you point me to some documentation for this. I have a basic understanding of both HTML and JavaScript…

I’m not sure there is any documentation on it at all. None I am aware of.

The best bet it to take an example that does something you want to emulate and right click on the description and choose view source.

You can also copy or edit an existing one, look for the script icon, double click on it, and then it will show you the embedded JavaScript.

Related: Using HTML and JavaScript

3 Likes

Steps:

1. Edit a Fixlet or Task in the console.
  2. Click this button to embed JavaScript:
  3. The JavaScript can output HTML to create a form, the same way you would use HTML in any other context
  4. You might be able to use HTML directly, I don’t remember exactly.
  5. You may need to use some special JavaScript to use Relevance in the console
  6. You need to use some special JavaScript to “Take Action” and pass along the data you captured as action parameters.

Find a Fixlet or Task that already does something similar, hit copy, and then look at the embedded JavaScript to figure out how this is done.

I was able to accomplish this by exporting the fixlet then editing the HTML in Notepad++. Then I just imported it back in.

2 Likes

…And just to clarify a little more on this for the really green beginners like myself. You edit between the XML (CDATA) tags:

• Opening Tag: <![CDATA[
  • Closing Tag: ]]>

It seemed to me that you could put (most) HTML and JavaScript code in between those tags.

I found this link Secure parameters actions that @jgstew mentioned in another post helpful.

2 Likes

look up the word document “Creating Paramerterized Fixlets V1.0”. That is where I learned what I know.

2 Likes

Thanks! Looks quite helpful.
Here is the direct link: Creating Paramerterized Fixlets V1.0

1 Like

@peterj04, @lordboboinsd

I didn’t know about this Creating Paramerterized Fixlets document at all until it was mentioned in this post. It seemed to be very powerful, but I never read the whole document until now.

This is definitely what I need to do a much better job with Fixlet Parameters, but never knew how to go about it. Instead I hacked some stuff together using straight JavaScript and HTML, but I like how this is put together so it will work with the REST API as well, which I’m not certain is true of the stuff I have made using just random JavaScript since it isn’t as well defined.

The document is referenced on this Wiki page: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/Tivoli%20Endpoint%20Manager/page/Creating%20parameterized%20fixlets

1 Like