Orphaned install files

(imported topic written by TommyG91)

When I run software deployments get orphaned on the client in: C:\Program Files\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData__Global__Cache\Downloads

And when I run the built in fixlet to update the dat, the 100MB mcafee dat file is orphoned in: C:\Program Files\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\Client Manager for Anti-Virus__Download

Is this normal behavior? I can see adding code to clean up after my own job, but do I really need to run a separate job to clean up after the built in mcafee dat update fixlet?

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hi Tommy,

Those files will be deleted automatically the next time any action runs or the next time the agent is restarted so there shouldn’t be a need to delete them manually.

Ben

(imported comment written by MattBoyd)

Ben,

Can you explain when and how the download cache under __BESData__Global__Cache\Downloads is evaluated and cleared? The reason I ask is because we have several clients with a lot of files in this folder from multiple actions. At least one client has 40+ GB of downloads sitting in this folder.

Also, is there a safe, supported method for manually clearing this cache?

(imported comment written by BenKus)

You have 40 GB of downloads in this folder!?

The default client cache size is 20 MB. Any files larger than 20MB should be deleted the next time an action runs or the next time the agent restarts…

Did you change the size of your client cache?

Ben

Hehe… unfortunately that

wasn’t

a typo.

I saw that setting in documentation (_BESClient_Download_DownloadsCacheLimitMB) and, to the best of my knowledge, we do not have it set on any machines so it should still be the default (right?).

It seems like cached files older than a few days may be getting removed, but it’s definitely not after each action. However, we immediately push out 60+ GB of software (using baselines) when we build machines, so the cache is enormous for the first few days.

I did find a task to clean the cache. I’ll probably give that a shot to make sure that it can at least be cleared.

Since this doesn’t sound like the desired behavior, any other ideas on what may be causing it?

Alright so what is the best way to manually clear the cache? We’re still having this problem and we have a subset of machines that have smaller hard drives and are running out of space.

(imported comment written by TommyG91)

I’m using a task that does this:

dos del /F /S /Q “C:\Program Files\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\Client Manager for Anti-Virus__Download*.*”

dos del /F /S /Q “C:\Program Files\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData__Global__Cache\Downloads*.*”

dos del /F /S /Q “C:\Program Files\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\actionsite__Download*.*”

Probably not the best practice, but sometimes the folders DON’T get cleared out on the next action.

Thanks Tommy, I’ll give that a shot.