"No VM Manager Data" for computers in public clouds

I’ve run the task to identify computers on public clouds for Azure, GCP and EC2. The Identified Public Cloud Computers analysis shows these computers properly identified.

The Capacity Scan and Upload Results task has been run a number of times. The data has been imported in BFI and number of times. Yet most (but not all) cloud computers are still showing “No VM Manager Data” in BFI.

What am I missing?

When you click on the “No VM Manager Data” link from dashboard, what information is displayed for:
Status, Partition Cores (more than 0?) Server ID, Brand, PVU Per Core, Default PVU Value

1 Like

Partition Cores: Different values from 1 to 24
Server ID: Each is different but all start with “TLM_VM_” and then a value that looks like a GUID.
Brand: All are "Xeon®, More than 4 Socket"
PVU Per Core: All are "120"
Default PVU Value: All are “False”

Please try the following:
Select 2 or 3 computers identified as cloud computers
From Console -> BFI -> Fixlets and Tasks -> Run Capacity Scan and Upload task, use 2nd option to run a one time/force scan/upload action
Wait for 20/25 minutes (or restart FillDB)
Run a BFI import or wait for scheduled BFI import (depending on your infrastructure size and import times)
Check the status for the above computers

1 Like

OK, that worked for those two computers.

However I have an open-ended action for that same task, it last ran a few days ago. Why wouldn’t the data for all of the other VMs be updated?

The default Capacity Scan action will periodically run but will not upload the result file if there is no HW change on the endpoint.

The 2nd action forces a new file upload and BFI import will process the new file. What I am not sure about is the sequence of actions needed to process the Cloud designation.

One option is to rerun the one time capacity scan action on all the cloud designated computers.

I will check with our development team. How ever if you would like a support explanation, I suggest to open a case with HCL BFI support.

1 Like

OK, that sort of explains it.

I see that if I run the Run Capacity Scan and Upload task with the single option then import into BFI all of the VMs that were showing an error are no longer showing that error. I guess I’ll need to keep an eye on that report and if more show up follow this process again.

Thanks for the help.