Netbackup fixlet error code 1603

Hello All,

Using software distribution I have created netbackup task in BigFix console but package is not getting installed on the endpoints.
I"m getting error code 1603 and in action info last line of action script is getting failed “**end closing marker”

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Manish Singh

did you try smashing your head on the keyboard and then rolling your face on it >.<

is it an MSI? is it an EXE? did you check silent switches? are you able to install it from the command line? have you tried with a computer that has been just rebooted?

Please remember that anything that you run, its a system. if you are trying to talk to the network using a batch, you might need to look at some risky scripts to have the username and password in there.

Seriously :face_with_thermometer: I got fever while working on it …lol.

we are utilizing the slient.cmd file to perform the installation were we have hardcoded Master, Media and token information.
Yes I have rebooted the servers and again tried to perform the installation via BigFix but still same issue.

When I try to install manually using slient.cmd file, Package is getting installed successfully without any hassle.

That could suggest the issue is the SYSTEM context. 1603 error is just the generic “something went wrong but I don’t know what” error so these can certainly be a pain to troubleshoot. I would try running the silent.cmd as SYSTEM using psexec from SysInternals and see if that encounters the same failure.

So, basically you want me to download psexec and run in below format

psexec -i -d -s C:\Netbackup\slient.cmd
Could you please tell where I can see the log file for psexec tool ?

Regards,
Manish Singh

Probably better to run the silent.cmd from a CMD prompt that is running as SYSTEM. @JasonWalker posted some very useful tips in Silent Executable Fixlet Troubleshooting

@SLB Thanks for your prompt response, Let me try the suggestion given by Jason.

@JasonWalker
So, I need to run the below command on the impacted server

psexec -i -s c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe to open a 64-bit command prompt and use that to see if your setup works ok using the LocalSystem account.
Next, try using
psexec -i -s c:\windows\syswow64\cmd.exe to see if it still works using the LocalSystem account in 32-bit mode.

Please do let me know if any things else need to be executed to cross check if issue is from server end

Regards,
Manish Singh

Keep in mind error 1603 isn’t a “Bigfix” error, its the error produced by the installer of the application you are trying to install. @JasonWalker’s method just might help you locate the problem for yourself. Microsoft does have some tips on various things you can try to resolve 1603 but it might be specific to the application. https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/834484/you-receive-an-error-1603-a-fatal-error-occurred-during-installation

Thanks got your point.
I Just want to prove platform team that this is not an issue from BigFix end and its totally depended on the environment variable or win 2016 server is having an issue.

Regards,
Manish Singh