Need assistance in moving Bigfix app from physical to Virtual env

HI All, can someone assist in steps involved in moving the Bigfix application from physical server environment to virtual environment?

You’ve asked this twice now.

A quick look at the forum reveals this thread

Not explicitly physical to virtual, but the advice from Jason should take you most of the way.

And if you are still not sure, open a support ticket with Bigfix before you start - that way they can have all the information about your current installation and the target to be able to help ‘live’ as you do it.

@Manish can help here…

or you can connect me…

Just to clarify,

1. Are you looking to use something like P2V to convert the physical to virtual?
  2. Are you looking to duplicate the server (including hostname) on a virtual server?
  3. Are you looking to stand up a new server (different hostname) on a virtual server?

I know that #1 is possible, but not sure if I would recommend it. #2 and 3 are both doable and I have done both before. They both require a bit of work, but doable :slightly_smiling_face:

If # 1 is not recommended then I would prefer to go with # 2. Once I complete to duplicate the server to virtual then I will retire or decom the physical server and that will serve the purpose.

One advantage of #3 is that you start with a clean BigFix environment. In the past when I have done this, the current environment had a few sites that were not used and some were removed and a lot of console operators that were deleted. Behind the scenes, this leaves a lot of extra processing. I think you need to enable debugging for the client logs to see what I mean by this.

It is pretty simple to do

1. Stand up new BigFix server (don’t worry about relays at this point)
  2. Export content from BigFix server to new server
  3. Use the masthead switch task to migrate agents from the old server to the new (task #1516 in BES Support)

Now that is a real simple overview and depending on if you really need to preserve content and if you have Inventory/Compliance, you probably have more to do.

1 Like