MySQL or Postgresql

(imported topic written by PaulPhillabaum)

I would love it not to have to buy an expensive per processor license for Microsoft SQL. (and we have much more robust mysql and postgresql servers available also)

Any chance of seeing support for MySQL or Postgresql?

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hey Paul P,

The first version of BES did support MySQL (and it was one of my first jobs to write the database code)… But… All of our customers complained and said we were crazy and companies only ran Oracle or SQL Server and so we switched… Sorry…

Ben

(imported comment written by PaulPhillabaum)

I would imagine customer interest and acceptance of either of the major open source databases would be much, much higher today.

Also, from the developer side, isn’t it much easier today to provide support for both?

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hey Paul,

Actually, we do a significant amount of optimization on how we use the database and we need to take into account all sorts of “strange” behaviors that each database presents. While it is certainly technically possible for us to support more databases, it turns into a fair amount of development work and a pretty large amount of QA work… Also, I am not sure we have heard this request from many customers (although we hear lots of other requests) so adding new database support is not on the top of our list…

Perhaps it is interesting that the most requested database that we have had in the past few years is Oracle, which doesn’t seem to help you much from the license savings…

Ben

(imported comment written by PaulPhillabaum)

That is odd. Thanks for listening.