Multi-user Application Tracking Dashboard?

(imported topic written by rmnetops91)

Can anyone please explain why when I activate Application tracking on a specific process as a master operator, my non-master operators cannot see any data in the dashboard? Does every console operator need to activate application tracking to see the data? Will this cause redundant tracking on machines if we do so?

Here is how we are setup:

Master Operators (me)

Non Master Operations (our Helpdesk Staff)

We have a Custom Site called “Helpdesk”

All workstations are assigned to this custom Helpdesk Site

The Helpdesk Staff are assigned read/write to this Helpdesk Site

The software tracking is enabled by me (Master Operator), on All Workstations.

PS: I notice by default the application tracking dashboard wizard creates the analysis under the Master Operator Site. I have tried duplicating the analysis the wizard created for me, but instead assigning to the Helpdesk site, but this seems to break the dashboard tracking data.

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hi rmetops,

Yes. This is how the application tracking dashboard works in the License and Inventory site. Note that the DSS SAM module that we have is our next-generation version of the Application Tracking is and is much more sophisticated (including allowing product categorization, using a configurable product catalog, providing installed/used reports, and more). DSS SAM does not have this limitation of requiring each user to track their own applications.

Ben

(imported comment written by dgibson91)

What we did to get around this was create our own dashboard by editing the apptracking.ojo file to allow non-master users to see the data. We left the analyses as they were created by the master account and just changed the way the data is viewed. The downside is you will have to load the custom ojo file through the debug menu every time you want to view the data.

The lines you are going to change are

if (EvaluateRelevance(
'master flag of current console user') == 
"True") 
{ (master statement) 
} 

else 
{ (standard user statement) 
}

Comment out the if statements and leave only the (master statement). Make it look like this:

//if (EvaluateRelevance('master flag of current console user') == "True") 
//{ (master statement) 
//} 
//else 
//{ 
//    (standard user statement) 
//}

You can go through and search for all instances where the dashboard checks if the user is a master user, but the two that are required are

“appnames =”

and

“analysis_ids =”

You just need to make sure no one tries to use this to stop or start monitoring on different applications, that should only be done with a master account. If you are familiar with javascript and relevance you can also go through and remove the options to start/stop tracking to prevent users from doing this.

Not an ideal solution, but it works for us.