Move BES in AWS

Hi all! Apologies if this has been asked and answered numerous times…that said…Our current environment is 9.5.13 with about 1200 workstation endpoints and 300 servers. Beginning the planning process of moving BES to AWS. I know disc speed is a concern…is there an iops number I should be targeting, etc? I decided against splitting SQL off for the time being, can always do it down the road if I decide to. Just looking for guidance or advice from anyone that has done or is in the process of doing this!

Have you seen the Performance & Capacity Planning guide? It is a good reference. And while IOPs is certainly important, disk latency tends to be just as (or more) important when it comes to the BigFix Root Server’s database performance.

1 Like

Our general requirement is 5k IOPS with < 1ms latency for the database container(s). As for a single collocated instance, we can make this work but right sizing the instance is important (you can “overbuild” in the cloud for no real benefit, and it can even work against you).

As Aram indicates, the capacity planning guide talks about all of this, and is based on vCPU cloud units. I also provide a capacity planning tool at the same link as the capacity planning guide, that can simplify sizing.

If you want to discuss in more detail based on your specific installation, feel free to contact me directly and we can summarize here. Thx.

3 Likes

Shot you a PM! Thank you very much!

I did take a look. Seems to make a good deal of sense. I discussed it a bit at the last user group and was advised ‘get some screamin fast disks’.

Actually the best advice is don’t buy any “disks”, get NVME based flash storage. :slight_smile:

One talk I give is the amazing storage advancements in recent years. Everyone is aware of CPU upgrades, and SSD improvements, but storage has generally lagged. The NVME interface provides massive benefits and real world numbers that are amazing. For example, with off the shelf NVME support we typically score >100,000 IOPS with < 0.1ms latency at pretty low cost. It just gives you ample headroom and you can crank up workloads and the storage will keep pace. Very exciting (and, yes, I find this exciting! :slight_smile: ).

4 Likes