Monthly Tasks

(imported topic written by Edj)

BigFix by default is capable of running tasks on a scheduled day of the week but I have a special request. I am currenlty attempting to create 2 tasks: One that would run on the first Monday of the Month and another that would run on the first Tuesday of the month. Is this possible, using BigFix relevancy?

Thanks,

Ed

(imported comment written by jessewk)

Today is patch Tuesday. Here’s a few relevance questions and answers:

current date = first monday of current month_and_year

False

current date = first tuesday of current month_and_year

False

current date = first tuesday of current month_and_year + 7 * day

True

(imported comment written by Edj)

Jessewk,

Thank you for the quick response. This is pretty impressive. Am I correct in assuming that “+ 7 * day” and “+ 14 * day” would represent the 2nd & 3rd Tuesday of the current month?

Thanks,

Ed

(imported comment written by jessewk)

Yes, that is correct. Your example will answer the question, “What day is the 2nd Tuesday of the current month”.

If you want to answer questions like ‘is today the 3rd tuesday following the most recent 2nd tuesday of the month’, you need to worry about rolling across months. You can solve that using relevance like this:

(it = first tuesday of month_and_year of it + 1 * week) of (current date - 4 * week)

The above will tell you, "was 4 weeks ago from today the second Tuesday of the month? " a.k.a, has it been exactly 4 weeks since Microsoft released patches?