Matching /etc/resolv.conf with multiple nameserver lines

(imported topic written by MeeWeeNg91)

Hi

I would like to match a audit result where the 1st nameserver is A , 2nd namesever is B and 3rd nameserver is C. Taking into consideration that some system will be missing domain or search line.

My /etc/resol.conf looks like this

domain ABC.Aregion.com

search ABC.Aregion.com Bregion.com

nameserver 10.10.1.24

nameserver 123.1.45.100

nameserver 123.1.45.101

This is what i got if the domain and seacrh was the first 2 lines and the 1st namserver is the 3rd line of the file.

if ( not exists file “/etc/resolv.conf”) then “/etc/resolv.conf File Missing” else if ((line 3 of file “/etc/resolv.conf” = “nameserver 10.10.1.24”) and (next line of line 3 of file “/etc/resolv.conf” = “nameserver 123.1.45.100”)and (next line of next line of line 3 of file “/etc/resolv.conf” = “nameserver 123.1.45.101”)) then “PASS” else “FAILED”

Is there a better way to do this ?

Thanks

-Mee Wee

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hey Mee Wee,

That seems like it would work, but if your line spacing is wrong, you would have an issue… here are some ideas:

• iterate through the lines of the file, pull out the lines with "nameserver " and then make sure they match the IP addresses

(it contains “10.10.1.24” AND it contains “123.1.45.100” AND it contains “123.1.45.101”) of concatenation “:” of (following text of first "nameserver " of it) of (lines of file “/etc/resolv.conf”) whose (it as lowercase contains “nameserver”)

• or do the same thing as above, but enforce the order

(it = “10.10.1.24:123.1.45.100:123.1.45.101”) of concatenation “:” of (following text of first "nameserver " of it) of (lines of file “/etc/resolv.conf”) whose (it as lowercase contains “nameserver”)

Note that in all cases, we are assuming there is only a space after “nameserver”.

Ben

(imported comment written by jessewk)

Nice work Mee Wee. Ben beat me to an answer but I’ll post my version anyway.

if
not exists file "c:\etc\resolv.conf"
then
"Missing File"
else
if
number of unique values of parenthesized parts 1
whose
(
it = "10.10.1.24"
or
it = “123.1.45.100"
or
it =“123.1.45.101”
)
of first matches
(
case insensitive regex “\snameserver\s+((\d{1,3}.){3}\d{1,3})\s$”
)
of lines of file “c:\etc\resolv.conf” = 3
then
"PASS"
else
"FAIL”

In order to pass, the file must meet the following criteria:

• All 3 IP required addresses must appear on a validly formated line
  • A validly formated line contains the text “nameserver” and an IP address which are separated by at least one whitespace character
  • A validly formated line may have leading or trailing whitespace
  • “nameserver” is case insenstive

Other nameserver lines are also allowed.

You may need to re-write it with a boost compatible regex. Search the forum for a few recent examples.

(imported comment written by MeeWeeNg91)

Hi Jesse and Ben

Thanks for the both inputs. Somehow, i think Jesse has provide me the windows which works on Boolen Posix ( correct me if i am wrong ) and i got negative results.

Ben’s script works, but i tested that if i have remark or comment of nameserver, i still get a “PASS” as it matches only the content but not the starter as nameserver.

So… a challenge ! how do we do that :slight_smile:

As

(lines of file “/etc/resolv.conf”) whose (it as lowercase contains “nameserver”) will output

A: nameserver 10.10.1.24

A: nameserver 123.1.45.100

A: #nameserver 123.1.45.101

T: 7995556

How do we exclude that #nameserver is not take into consideration ?

-Mee Wee

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Change it to

(lines of file “/etc/resolv.conf”) whose (it as lowercase starts with “nameserver”)

Ben

(imported comment written by MeeWeeNg91)

Thanks again Ben !