March cumulative updates relevance?

I’m noticing that only 40% of our Win10 “1709” machines are relevant for the march 1709 cumulative update (4489886 - x64) - which in itself is no tragedy since this update doesn’t play nice with DDPE encryption and I am not in a hurry to push it. Still, wondering why that is, could the relevance be faulty? we’ve used the same image, it’s all the same flavor yet only 40% of those machines are relevant…

I’m currently installing it by hand on my test machine and it’s ongoing (edit: it took it)… yet my PC was not relevant for it at all in bigfix.

Are those systems relevant to the Delta update instead?

There have been a couple of very long threads on this, but the TL;DR is that you should be relevant for either the Delta or Cumulative, but not both; because installing both will cause bluescreens on reboot.

1 Like

So yes Jason, (thanks for th ereply), simplifying things, 1/2 of my v1709 PCs are relevant for the March rollup only, 1/2 for the delta only…

Looking at them (and verifying your relevance), delta applies to 1709 subversion .967, the rollup to everything else…

It’s odd to me we’ve never seen this before when patching, we’ve never pushed delta before, this is the first month it’s split like that… Did that change on your end or ???

Would there be an issue making a copy of the rollup and changing its relevance to apply to all? I’ve done that as a test and no problems at all so far…

Nothing has changed in terms of how the content behaves.

@gdeschodt, take a look a this post for more information about Delta/Cumulative fixlet behavior. KB4487026 - RollBack and Installation of KB4489882 Delta update Via BigFix

No need to customize the relevance, there’s a Client Setting that can be applied to make it always use Cumulative updates and never the Deltas. I’ll try to find that setting shortly.

Also Microsoft announced last year that April 2019 would be the last month they will publish a Delta Update, switching those to a new Express Update method instead. So this problem will be gone, presumably replaced by some new problem instead.

Edit: see Windows 10 / Windows 2016 Cumulative Only Update Option now Available

1 Like