Manual Group Alternatives

This is the fixlet I created to provide the HTML combo box if anyone was interested.

Set client setting to allow automatic grouping.bes (2.2 KB)

5 Likes

Guys, all of this feedback is brilliant - thank you! :slight_smile:

@JasonWalker - I’m basing it on a client setting as you have outlined (as I do think this will be a lot more efficient than manual groups). I’ve named the new setting “__Group_1_Manual” so it sits under the manual computer groups ( “__Group_0…” in the Windows registry), for convenience.

I’ve updated your tasks very slightly. To add a group:

action parameter query “NewGroup” with description “Enter group to add to client:”

setting “__Group_1_Manual”=“{concatenation “;” of unique values of ((substrings separated by “;” of values of settings “__Group_1_Manual” of client);parameter “NewGroup” of action)}” on “{now}” for client

I just add the unique value bit so it won’t add any duplicate groups.

Remove task, pretty much the same:

action parameter query “RemoveGroup” with description “Enter group to remove from client:”

setting “__Group_1_Manual”=“{concatenation “;” of (substrings separated by “;” of values of settings “__Group_1_Manual” of client) whose ( it != parameter “RemoveGroup” of action)}” on “{now}” for client

I really like how this is setup using the “RemoveGroup” parameter; don’t think I ever would have thought of it.

I changed the RP slightly - to not concatenate the results - as this prevents an action from targeting any individual group in the string:

unique values of substrings separated by ";" of values of settings "__Group_1_Manual" of client

I’ve also created a task to populate the new client setting with the existing manual computer groups, so that when I make this new process available - and disable the creation of manual computer groups for non-master operators - they will have the values already set and available for use:

setting “__Group_1_Manual”=“{concatenation “;” of (following texts of substrings “_Group_0” of preceding texts of substrings “=True” of (((settings of client) whose (it as string contains “__Group” and it as string contains “True”)) as string))}” on “{now}” for client

@SLB - I love this fixlet format (and have used similar myself) but we have too many groups (250+) to maintain a manual list like this. I think I already know the answer, but I don’t suppose there is any way to have the drop-down list select from a list a existing RP results/values? This would be particularly useful for the removal of a group; making sure that it is one that is actually existing.

@itsmpro92 - in an ideal world, we would adhere to a more formalised approach. But unfortunately I just don’t have the time and/or resources to manage this. I try to keep operators educated, but with so many operators (and few BigFix staff), it’s difficult. I have some plans in mind, but not around moving forward with manual computer groups specifically.

If anyone sees any flaws above - or any suggestions for improvement - I am all ears.

2 Likes