Manual BES Caching Required

Hello,

I’m new to the BigFix world and I ran into an issue today I need assistance with. I’m trying to install the Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1703 update to 70+ nodes. I pushed the update out to my test tier yesterday to run over night. When I came in this morning it was in a failed status. I checked the details and I see this message:

Download error: The requested URL does not pass this deployment’s download whitelist.
Download requested by client:
URL: http://MANUAL_BES_CACHING_REQUIRED/en_windows_10_enterprise_version_1703_updated_march_2017_x64_dvd_10189290.iso
Hash: (sha1)77d5e7c91b5dbbee410fb6c57cb944238bf7176a
Size: 4247986176 bytes
Next retry: The download will be retried the next time it is requested. Retry now

It is obvious that I need to manually install this on my BigFix server first so it can be cached before the update is pushed out to my relay servers and nodes. However, I have never done this. I’m hoping someone can send me a step by step on how to complete this.

Any advice helps!

1 Like

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21506037

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21506080

This means that you have to download the ISO image, rename it to its SHA1 name, 77d5e7c91b5dbbee410fb6c57cb944238bf7176a, and then place it in the BES Download cache.

See the above article for more information and reply here if you need further assistance with it.

Thanks
Dave L.

2 Likes

Thank you for the quick response. I will follow up and let you know if it works.

There is another option. You can download the ISO, put it on a web server the root can access, then create a task or action that prefetches from that location, and run it on a system. The prefetch used will be the same, just with a different url. This will cause the root server to cache the file. Once it is cached, the prefetches in other items that use the same file will work because they are based upon the SHA1/SHA256/Size.

You generally want to make sure your web cache size on the root server is large enough so these files stick around on it for long enough for this option to be effective.

The advantage of this approach is that it does not require someone to be a master operator or to have direct access to the root server storage in order to solve the problem.

On a windows root server with default install locations, then the file goes here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\wwwrootbes\bfmirror\downloads\sha1

If you have an MSDN subscription, you can get the ISO here: Visual Studio Subscriptions - Visual Studio

Related:

1 Like

Guys,

I added the ISO to my BES Cache directory and got a message that says The download size exceeds the maximum value set in the client setting _BESClient_Download_PreCacheStageDiskLimitMB, which can be modified through the Edit Computer Settings dialog.

I changed the setting from 0MB to 20,000MB.Hopefully this is sufficient; the .ISO is only 3 GBs.

2 Likes

This means you need to increase the size of the _BESClient_Download_PreCacheStageDiskLimitMB on the clients you are going to deploy it to, not the root server itself. If you set it to 4096 it should work for you, but you have to worry about clients with low hard drive space.

1 Like

all of you is very response thanks for wonderful answer.