MAC OS X upgrade fixlet (Download Failed)

written by jpeppers91

I have about a 300 user MAC OS community and for some reason I can not run the fixlets because each time it says Download failed. There is no particualt version and has done it since migrating to version 9 a few years ago. Anyone else experience this where they can not update their MAC clients via the fixlets?

written by jgstew

Try downloading it using the fixlet debugger on windows and verify that the SHA1 and Size match. It sounds like there is an issue with the file cached on the root server, or the fixlet itself.

written by jpeppers91

Something is weird and I can’t figure it out. I have about 5 clients that it did work on on. the other 295 are still having challeneges. Any other ideas?

written by jgstew

I still think it could be an issue with a cache or sha1 somewhere. Are you using relays? Did the 5 that succeed use the same relay as the rest that failed?

I still recommend manually downloading the file directly and verifying the Size & SHA1. I would do the same on a failed system. You don’t need to use the fixlet debugger on windows to do this, but it is an option I use.

Is this a fixlet you created yourself, or is this one provided by IBM or another source? Can you share the fixlet with any references to your root server, or any other similar info removed?

written by jpeppers91

There 18 now that were successful and all used various relays. I tried using the fixlet debugger on the action tab and I get Download Failed as well. When I put the url in the web browser it downloads just fine.

I copied the install to my BES Server and from the fixlet debugger on the action tab it downloads fine but when I actually put it in a task, the download fails as well. All the Windows Fixlets for the BES upgrade work fine.

written by jgstew

When you put the URL in the browser, and it downloads fine… did you check the SHA1 and Size of the download to confirm that it matches that within the fixlet actionscript?

I downloaded the file myself and verified the size and sha1 do match what is found within the fixlet, but now I wonder if the SHA256 is the issue. I haven’t verified that yet.

written by jpeppers91

Yes. they all match. The fixlet worked on 18 of 300 machines looking at different relays. Very stange.

written by jgstew

I agree it is very strange.

If the sha256 was wrong, but the sha1 was correct, then the download would only fail on clients that know to check the sha256 which would only be clients that are already 9.1 already I believe, while it would succeed on clients running 8.2 and possibly 9.0

Try clearing the relay cache if the failures seem common to a particular relay.

written by jpeppers91

How do I clear the cache on the relay?

written by jpeppers91

I think I found it. Let’s see if that makes a difference.

written by jpeppers91

Still does not work.

written by Chuxin

Hi,

Can you share more details about this fixlet?

Site:

Title:

ID:

written by jpeppers91

Site: BES Support

Title: Updated Mac OS X Client - IBM Endpoint Manager version 9.1.1117.0 Now Available!

ID: 1806

written by Chuxin

It is weird.

I checked sha1 and sha256 values, they are fine.

Could it be a network issue?

You can manually

1. download the installer (
    http://software.bigfix.com/download/bes/91/BESAgent-9.1.1117.0-BigFix_MacOSX10.6.pkg
    ), make sure the sha1, sha256 values are correct.

2. change the name (BESAgent-9.1.1117.0-BigFix_MacOSX10.6.pkg ) to its sha1 value ( 4d3ff99c9879c40407d802c23deeed9ae478b1bc ), make sure the file extension is removed from the file name.

3. copy this renamed file to the cache folder on the BES Server, normally it can be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\wwwrootbes\bfmirror\downloads\sha1

4. Try to redeploy it to one or two computers again

written by jpeppers91

Still didn’t work, here is a snippet of the lof file when it fails…

At 13:38:31 -0400 -

DownloadsAvailable: checking for ‘http://server/bfmirror/downloads/195069/0

DownloadsAvailable: true (action id 195069)

DownloadsAvailable: checking for ‘http://server/bfmirror/downloads/195069/0

DownloadsAvailable: true (action id 195069)

ActionLogMessage: (action:195069) Non-Distributed - DownloadsAvailable

ActionLogMessage: (action:195069) Submitting download request

ActionLogMessage: (action:195069) Download url: ‘http://software.bigfix.com/download/bes/91/BESAgent-9.1.1117.0-BigFix_MacOSX10.6.pkg

At 13:38:48 -0400 -

ActionLogMessage: (action:195069) JobFailed - cancel and fail action

ActionLogMessage: (action:195069) DownloadJobFailed

At 13:38:50 -0400 -

ActionLogMessage: (action:195069) ending action

written by amelgares

I had a similar problem where a download was failing on some machines and working on others. It turned out to be a network firewall issue. There was a firewall rule that was blocking http downloads of certain file types. We were able to verify this by going to a computer that was failing to download and manually trying to download the file in a web browser. The firewall then displayed a message in the browser that it was not allowing the download. Just something to try.

• Aaron

written by jpeppers91

I’m out of ideas.