Looking for local admin accounts on Mac OS X

(imported topic written by rzm10291)

I’ve had a look at this thread: http://forum.bigfix.com/viewtopic.php?id=30 and some others on how to check for local admins on computers.

When I run this command in the recently downloaded Relevance Debugger (Q and A) for Mac:

Q: names of local users whose (admin privilege of it)

E: The operator “local users” is not defined.

The operator is not defined on Mac?

Any help is appreciated. TIA

Rusty

(imported comment written by jessewk)

There is no local users inspector on the mac. Try ‘names of users’. Unfortunately, I don’t see an obvious way to detect if the user is an admin or not. I’ll ask around.

(imported comment written by NoahSalzman)

If it turns out there is no Relevance way to do it, there is always the two-step Action+Relevance using the dscl command.

Mac command to list users with admin prvis

dscl . -read /Groups/admin

That may require Mac OS X 10.5 or higher.

(imported comment written by rzm10291)

Thanks all, I figured so.

I have this script which should collect the usernames of local users and tell me if anyone besides our local admins are in the admins group.

#!/bin/bash

1. Are you a local admin?

LocalAdmins=sudo dscl . read /Groups/admin GroupMembership | sed 's/GroupMembership\:\ //g;s/root\ //g;s/etcadmin//g'

StripUsers=dscl . -list /users | grep -v \_ | sed "s/children//g;s/daemon//g;s/OURLOCALADMIN//g;s/nobody//g;s/root//g"

LocalUsers=echo $StripUsers

if [; then

Write to log if user is not admin

defaults write /Library/ETC/BigFix/machine.admin Admin “None”

elif [; then

Write to log

defaults write /Library/ETC/BigFix/machine.admin Admin “Yes”

fi

if [; then

Write to Log: No Users

defaults write /Library/ETC/BigFix/machine.admin Users “None”

else

defaults write /Library/ETC/BigFix/machine.admin Users “$LocalUsers”

fi

I then use a Analysis to collect the information in BES:

string “Admin” of dictionary of file “/Library/ETC/BigFix/machine.admin.plist”

and

string “Users” of dictionary of file “/Library/ETC/BigFix/machine.admin.plist”

This works on some machines, but not all. When I was testing it from the local machine, it worked without problem. However, when I run it from BES, it seems to create an empty file at “/Library/ETC/BigFix/machine.admin.plist”.

Any ideas?

I’ve tried adding sudo to the beginning of the commands, but I believe BES runs the scripts as root anyway…

TIA,

Rusty

(imported comment written by MattBoyd)

jessewk

There is no local users inspector on the mac. Try ‘names of users’. Unfortunately, I don’t see an obvious way to detect if the user is an admin or not. I’ll ask around.

I would like to request that these inspectors be implemented in the Mac client in the future, if technically feasible. It seems like something that ought to be included.

(imported comment written by jessewk)

Agreed. I filed a bug to track the request the other day.