Login to WebUI - Delay on "Loading Patches"

I’ve been meaning to report this, as I’ve seen this since we initially installed the WebUI close to two years ago. It’s always been on its own server and is currently at BES 9.5.8 with all latest updates applied for that version.

If it has been more than a day or so since a user logs into the WebUI via an LDAP account, the “Loading Patches” sits there for a while (3 or more minutes) before logging in. If you logout/on, it logs in quickly.

Logging on with a local account sometimes has the delay but it may be only a few seconds.

Is this expected due to the way WebUI sync’s?

1 Like

Hey @AlexaVonTess. Sorry I saw this a little bit late! But lemme give you a rundown. I think the behavior you’re seeing is normal. It shouldn’t be different for local users or LDAP users (if it is let us know and we’ll dig in deeper).

Lemme give you folks a breakdown:

• The WebUI caches a bunch of stuff when you first login. This cache speeds up different parts of browsing the WebUI, and if we didn’t have something like this there are some parts of the WebUI that would run too slowly to be usable
  • If we detect a user has logged in to the WebUI within 24 hours by default, we let them just login at first while we update their cache in the background. So folks may see a little outdated data in parts of their WebUI (and we denote which parts in the WebUI), but eventually they’ll see updated data.
  • There are client settings to control this caching behavior in the WebUI
    • _WebUIAppEnv_LOGIN_CACHE_TTL_HOURS: This setting allows users to adjust how stale we allow users’ data to be to bypass the login screen. (the behavior you see where if people logged in already, they just login straight in). The default is 24. The minimum is 1. There is no max.
    • _WebUIAppEnv_CACHE_TTL: This setting allows users to adjust how often the WebUI updates caches while people are browsing. This setting is in seconds, and by default it’s set to 600. There are some counts in the WebUI that are going to be at most 10 minutes delayed in the WebUI (everything else is real time). These counts are the applicable devices in patch lists, applicable patches in device lists, applicable devices in software package lists, and applicable devices in custom content lists.

Sooooo hopefully that explains the behavior you’re seeing Alexa! Lemme know if you have further questions…

3 Likes

Thank you so much! This is the kind of answer I would expect and I’m glad you did. Understanding the technical behind-the-scenes is very valuable to me. :rainbow:

2 Likes

I would like to report this reproducible event within the WebUI:

1. Login a click on Deployments. A list of 194 deployments a shown.
  2. In the Search field, I enter a single word.
  3. It takes 25 seconds to return the 9 results.
  4. I hit the X in the Search field to clear the search and the 194 deployments show within a second.
  5. I repeat Step 2 and get the same results as Step 3.

Now is that expected behavior. I can probably account for an initial delay, but would be hard pressed to account for the second one when using the same search criteria.