KB4487026 - RollBack and Installation of KB4489882 Delta update Via BigFix

Hello All,

Using BigFix RollBack Wizard we are trying to rollback KB4487026.
Rollback task is able to uninstall KB4487026 Delta Update but for same KB monthly cumulative update is still visible in Installed Update

Please suggest what can be a issue!!

Regards,
Manish Singh

Also I would like to highlight one more point.

When I installed Delta Update “KB4489882” on couple of servers and I can see same patch has been installed twice.
This is the unusable behaviour which I have noticed, Can anyone please help!!

Regards,
Manish Singh

Any update or suggestions would be appreciated!!

Duplicate entries from KB4489882 are not due to Bigfix. That’s an issue with the patch.

Don’t know what problems you’re running into with rollback but from what I can see, the Rollback Wizard is creating the appropriate rollback command for KB4487026 and I do see my test systems reverting to the previous OS build version.

What have you done to debug?

Below are the testing which we have done

-> In installed update two patches with same kb was visible.
-> We created Rollback task for KB4487026 and deployed on server which uninstalled one of the KB but still duplicate KB was visible in installed update.
-> So, we re-deploy the Rollback task on same server and this time we got error code 87 and still same Kb was visible.

Till now we have performed above steps and we are unsure why this is happening because as per my understanding one KB is suppose to be installed only once in any of the system.

Regards,
Manish Singh

Correct, a KB should only be installed once per the system, regardless of how it gets installed. This looks more like a Windows issue than a BigFix issue. You might try opening a Microsoft support call on it.

1 Like

You can also verify whether the system actually rolled back by checking the OS build version rather than solely relying on the KB entry in the updates list.

Usually, looking at the list of updates would suffice but obviously, there is some issue with the patch (I see a duplicate entry when I installed the KB as well) so other checks should be used to validate the version of the system.

When I performed the rollback, one of the entries was removed. The other remained. However, when I checked the OS build version with ‘winver’ , the OS build did roll back to the prior version.

1 Like

Thanks for your prompt response.
On further investigation we found out that for the same kB when we install cumulative update, Patch is getting installed only once but delta update is creating an issue were we are able to see duplicate entries in installed update.

Could you please confirm if same case is with you!!
Also, to conclude issue is with patch for which we need to work with Microsoft!!

Regards,
Manish Singh

Hello All,

I am bit confused, why for some servers only delta update is applicable and not the cumulative one.

As per my knowledge if last month we have installed delta or cumulative update then in current month only delta update will be applicable not the cumulative one. Please clarify if my understanding is wrong.

Query:-
1:On which scenario cumulative update will be applicable.
2: How we can confirm why cumulative update is not relevant ?
3: How to justify that last month delta update was installed and that is the reason this month only delta update will be applicable ?

Regards,
Manish Singh

The Delta fixlets only become relevant if your endpoint is at the build version from the prior month’s Patch Tuesday update. If the endpoint is at any other build version, the corresponding Cumulative will be relevant. The build version is listed in the KB article for each Cumulative/Delta update.

There is also a feature to turn off the Delta fixlets and only make the Cumulatives relevant. This can be achieved with the following client setting:

_BESClient_WindowsOS_ApplyCumulativeUpdateOnly = 1