Issues with group membership relevance

I am trying to use some relevance that targets group membership to return booleans, and I get…

Q: member of group 20680 of sites 
E: The expression could not be evaluated: InspectorSiteContextError

Is this syntax changed in newer release?
Furthermore, trying to be more specific, I ensured I could get a site object of “Master Action Site” via…

Q: name of site "http://<besserver>:52311/cgi-bin/bfgather.exe/actionsite"
A: actionsite
T: 127

Yet still get that error when I try to query against specific group of specific site.

Q: id of group 20680 of site "http://<besserver>:52311/cgi-bin/bfgather.exe/actionsite"
E: The expression could not be evaluated: InspectorSiteContextError

This is because QnA or the Fixlet Debugger doesn’t know anything about group membership. You need to run this against the client

2 Likes

This will work:

members of groups 20680 of sites "actionsite"

You just have to set the Fixlet Debugger to Local Client Evaluator

1 Like

Thanks guys, that does answer my question.

I’ve tested and indeed it works when used as relevance for a task or group, but not via QnA on Unix based systems. However, does indeed work on Fixlet Debugger on Windows based systems. Be nice if it worked for NIX as well!

I’ll be more mindful of the limitations of QnA debugger on the NIX platform in the future.

1 Like

It is a bit of a pain that the only option to use the “Local Client Evaluator” seems to be on windows with the Fixlet Debugger.

I typically use the Fixlet Debugger and/or QnA to help build relevance, but then I test it by creating a new property in a testing analysis and see what the results are there. I may add and remove many properties over and over as I refine the relevance I’m writing. Most relevance statements are a bunch of smaller statements combined into 1 larger one. I find it helpful to have each of the smaller ones in a property so I know what kind of raw data I’m dealing with.

3 Likes

I’m back!

So I have dynamic groups defined for VLANs that very simply key off of subnet address of the system.

What I want to achieve is a “VLAN” property that essentially reports which VLAN group the endpoint is a member of.

So long as things are done properly, every endpoint is only a member of one single group that contains string “VLAN” in the name in site “actionsite”

This is needed to be able to report and sort on the “VLAN” property in Web Reports. There may be an easier way to do this leveraging these dynamic groups besides trying to create a new property, but if so I do not believe I know how at this time.

I can use Computer Groups Filtering in Web Reports, but still don’t have the VLAN group in the output of the report. Although I could use the “Computer Groups” property, it shows all the misc groups the endpoint is in that I do not want to see.

I also recognize I could create a big if (member of group 123 of site “actionsite” then “VLAN1”) else if … but there are around 30 VLAN groups and this relevance statement would then also require maintenance as new VLAN dynamic groups are added.

Instead of making groups, you could have a property that gives the VLAN info using the same relevance, or do both, duplicating the effort, or do this:

(Which could probably be automated with the rest api, basically returning the name of the automatic group for the vlan group it belongs to)