Internet Explorer version report

I am trying to figure out IE version on All windows servers , but i see difference when i use below two relevance the micro number gets change for same machine.

I am trying to get IE version details for windows 2003,2008,2012 , so i need a relevance which should check for all OS version.

Q:if exists regapp “iexplore.exe” then version of regapp “iexplore.exe” as string else "Not Installed"
A: 8.0.7601.18751 – different value??
T: 1.361 ms

q:if (exists regapp “iexplore.exe”) then (value “version” of key “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer” of registry as string) else (“Not Installed”)
A: 8.0.7601.17514 – correct as per windows 2008R2
T: 0.977 ms

I wonder if you’re possibly seeing differences between IE 32-bit and IE 64-bit. What does the following return?

Q: version of file “iexplore.exe” of folder “Internet Explorer” of program files x32 folder
Q: version of file “iexplore.exe” of folder “Internet Explorer” of program files x64 folder

Thanks for your reply

Q: version of file “iexplore.exe” of folder “Internet Explorer” of program files x32 folder
A: 8.0.7601.18751
T: 0.461 ms

Q: version of file “iexplore.exe” of folder “Internet Explorer” of program files x64 folder
T: 0.414 ms

q:if exists regapp “iexplore.exe” then version of regapp “iexplore.exe” as string else “Not Installed”
T: 1.661 ms

but actual version which shows in IE help menu and registry is littler bit different??

It seems that the methods to determine the version of IE differs in various conditions, and mostly should not be based on the executable’s version as that might not take into account IE updates. Please see Internet Explorer versions information - Browsers | Microsoft Learn for more information.

If the ‘Version’ or ‘svcVersion’ string value in the registry key above matches the value in ‘About Internet Explorer’ of the Help menu, then we can return them with relevance such as:

Q: if (exists regapp “iexplore.exe”) then ((value “svcversion” of it | value “version” of it) of key “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer” of registry as string) else (“Not Installed”)

1 Like

Aram: You are awesome , this is what i was looking for. thanks a lot. Now this query is working on both win2008 & 2012 servers.

Thank You