Import info into BigFix

Hello, is there a way to import specific data into BigFix via Excel or CSV, I am looking to have some custom columns in my Web Reports

To create custom columns on bigfix, you need to create properties.
The relevance in the properties can read data from csv. Does the csv or excel contain information pertaining to each endpoint?

It will, server name, owner etc…

so your wanting to import data on current endpoints in your system already, or are these endpoints currently unmanaged in bigfix?

No, they are already managed, I am looking to add additional info that bigfix doesn’t collect

so you need to write a fixlet that reads this csv\excel and then creates a data file on each server with information specific to the server. Or it can create a setting(s) for that computer and save each of the information.
You property will just read this data file or setting and you can ultimately use the property in web reports.

AFAIK, there is no way to directly load data to web reports.

Thanks very much. Do you have any info on how to create that fixlet. I am not that familiar with creating them.

Is the info you need to fill in on the endpoints already? Like some registry entry, or some other detectable info? This sounds like an analisis result to me.

Check below posts for more information.

Custom Properties for Endpoint - #5 by jgstew

Parameter problem for file lookup client setting - #14 by jgstew

Thanks, I was wondering on how to get the fixlet to read the CSV file.

There are multiple ways to do that. One of the approaches is to put the csv file under Uploads folder of Bigfix and have the fixlet read from that location.
The other option is to add the csv to master action site but it will then be pushed to all the computers in your infrastructure.

You can then retrieve the lines from that csv file pertaining to the endpoint on which it is run and use the values retrieved to set the computer settings. If you need any help, let me know.

Rohit,

Do you have a concrete example of a fixlet that calls the CSV? regardless of where the CSV is located, it would be helpful to see the relevance used to call values.

if your csv looked like:

computer1, J. O’neill, userid12659, Security
computer2, D. Jackson, userid28995, IT Support
computer3, S. Carter, userid345678, Development

the action script below should tag the machines with the related info from the csv:

// Check if the csv contains machine name
IF {exists file "c:\windows\temp\test_tagging.csv" whose (exists (lines of it as string as lowercase) whose (it contains (computer name as string as lowercase)))}

parameter "Owner" = "{(tuple string items 1 of concatenation ", " of substrings separated by "," of it) of line whose (it as string as lowercase contains (computer name as string as lowercase)) of file "c:\windows\temp\test_tagging.csv"}"

parameter "UserID" = "{(tuple string items 2 of concatenation ", " of substrings separated by "," of it) of line whose (it as string as lowercase contains (computer name as string as lowercase)) of file "c:\windows\temp\test_tagging.csv"}"

parameter "Department" = "{(tuple string items 3 of concatenation ", " of substrings separated by "," of it) of line whose (it as string as lowercase contains (computer name as string as lowercase)) of file "c:\windows\temp\test_tagging.csv"}"

regset64 "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\TestTagging]" "Owner"="{parameter "Owner"}"
regset64 "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\TestTagging]" "UserID"="{parameter "UserID"}"
regset64 "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\TestTagging]" "Department"="{parameter "Department"}"

endif
2 Likes