I have a PeerNest question

When we enable PeerNesting, does the BigFix client use the OS NetMask as defined on the host system to determine it’s subnet? Or does it just use the Class C subnet that it is in?

Firstly, I’m not a network person…

Some multicast addresses, with suitable router configuration are routeable, some not. As the intention of peernest is to share information on the local subnet, I’m guessing that the address used is from a non-routeable block. It is the evening on a public hiday here in the UK, so I can’t take a quick peek to confirm.

My understanding is that multicast addresses don’t have an associated subnet - so a multicast packet sent by host 10.1.2.3/23 sent to multicast group 224.0.0.99 would be visible to any other host with address in the range 10.1.2.1 thru to 10.1.3.254 that had joined multicast group 224.0.0.99.

At risk of repeating myself, I’m not a network person, but this isn’t a network forum, so there is a risk that there won’t be a real networking person wander by to correct my misunderstandings and false assumptions…