HPUX Client Issue: It Doesn't Start After a Successful Install

Hi all …

The directions to install the PA-RISC HPUX BigFix client seem simple enough:

1. Get the [9.2.18] BES Client package file.

2. Run the command:
    /usr/sbin/swinstall -s HOSTNAME:/path/BESAgent_filename BESAgent

3. Copy the actionsite masthead to the HP-UX BES Client computer, rename it to “actionsite.afxm” and place it in /etc/opt/BESClient/actionsite.afxm.

4. Start the client by running the command /sbin/init.d/besclient start

I don’t have much experience with HPUX. It’s PA-RISC based and is at version 11.11. There are no relays right now so we’re looking to connect directly to the BigFix server. Port 52311 is open. The issue: The BigFix client doesn’t start at all. Nothing is generated to the client’s log file in __BESData\__Global\Logs. The installation completed without errors and the computer’s install log looked fine. Nothing appears to be written to syslog or anywhere else that we can tell. The masthead is the right one and appears to be in the right place as listed above. Yet the Bigfix client doesn’t start.

Anyone see this before and can point me in the right direction on how to resolve this? Should I try an older version of the HPUX client?

–Mark

Found the solution to this issue: While the masthead was in the right place and had the correct name, it was the wrong masthead, even though I was assured it was the right one when I initially posted. I had the customer pull a fresh copy of the masthead from http://servername:52311/masthead/masthead.afxm, rename it and drop it in the right place, and everything started working.

–Mark

1 Like